IGNORED

Mord's Blog - Linux & Homebrewing

RSS Bot

Eh, those two topics in the subject are unrelated at this point. :ponder:

Anyway, tried the ubuntu 8.10 live CD. Obviously have some hardware problems or something. It'd get to the menu no problem and I'd try to run from the disc (top option) both regularly and through the F4 option of a Visual Safe Boot setting. It would work away for a little bit and I'd see the unbuntu logo with a progress bar (that's really kind of pointless).

Then it'll break to trying to Do Stuff. You'd see references of ada2.00 doing something and failing. Repeatedly. Over and over. Not entirely sure what it was doing, although I think it's mostly the exact same thing being done and failed over and over again. Left alone it'd keep doing so for 5+ minutes or more. The first time I tried this the screen blacked out after a while, but for all I know that could have been a screen saver kind of deal since I hadn't touched anything at all. I dunno. Regardless, it won't progress after this point. -_-

I'll probably try to write it down next time to see if any linux veterans know what's going on.

For homebrewing, after a year of not touching it, I decided to try to get back to Action RPG. I had made some pretty big messups a year ago and was trying to fix it up now and then but would always give it up after a while and ultimately nothing would get done. I'm reverting it to the last working version (0.018) and trying again. I still need to rework the way items work, but there are a couple of other things I want to fix prior to that that are less painful.

I'm going to redefine "noflicker" objects to simply be whatever item is being held by the player. Up to version 0.018, it was possible for me to flag a room object as noflicker - such as a castle gate. In the new version the gates will obviously flicker. But if you're holding the key to it, the key won't! Which means it should remain fairly easy to open the gate even if it's blinking madly.

For this attempt at version 0.019, that change will be made plus I'll add a bounding check for objects that pass through the left wall. (mostly due to being carried.) That check will just stop the object from being displayed if it's supposedly gone past the edge of the screen in that direction. In the current rom, what ends up happening is we get an extra scanline being generated in those situations which cause the screen to bump a bit. I've got a few ideas on how to tackle it.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=5762