IGNORED

THE 1 2 P's Demo/Import/Gaming Blog - Max F'ing Payne

RSS Bot

So I watched the Max Payne movie last night and I was fairly dissappointed with the end product. This movie had so much potential but there were several things holding it back. For staters theres the PG-13 rating. Time and time again this is the kiss of death for M rated video games that get turned into movies. I mean, don't you think that an M rated game having to be restricted to a PG-13 movie will cause it to be dumbed down? Cause thats exactly what happened. There were no great action scenes, you could hardly tell when Max or Mona got shot and the one bullet time effect(Max shooting his shotgun while diving backwards) was one of the worst action sequences in cinema history. I could have made a better action sequence with a cell phone video recorder and a group of third graders.

And then theres the plot. It's a good thing I played the games or I wouldn't know what the hell was going on. Oh sure, theres the basic: "someone killed my wife and he's still out their" plot. We even get some clarity of who did it and why. But why are all the other peeps involved? They even changed the ending from the game(which was actually a good thing) so that the people who played the game wouldn't see the whole thing coming from start to finish. But as a whole it was still a very generic action movie.

I'd say the movie's one saving grace was it's final scene thats rolls after the credits finish. Of course, in it arrives another problem. What does a picture of a company head on the front of a paper have to do with his wife's death? I already know the answer but how is he suppose to figure it out from a front page article? This of course leads to the inevitable sequel. But seeing as the movie made less than $90 combined between it's domestic and international gross I hightly doubt there will be a sequel. Of course, they could always go the direct to video route with an all new cast of no-name actors.

So another video game movie gets made that ends up sucking. When will it ever end? Probably never.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=5766