IGNORED

atari 2600 system specs?

finguzz

hey, ya know how n64 is 64 'bits', nes is 8-bits, snes is 16-bits, etc ....? how many 'bits' is atari? - finguz

From the FAQ found on AtariAge site:

CPU: 6507

RAM: 128 Bytes, in VLSI

ROM: 4K max

Cpu Clock: 1.19 MHz

Graphics Clock: 1.19 MHz

Slot Config: Rom access only

CPU Avail: less than 50%

The 6507 is a reduced version of the 8-bit 6502.

Cute... :D

And I thought Intellivision operated as 12 bits or something odd even though it had 16 bit processor.

And yes there can be a game on 4 bit processor. Turn your $2 calculator upside down and see how many words you can get from the numbers. One example would be 0.7734 (which would read hello when read upside down) I know not much but it does exists. ;)

I'm not a techie but I don't think a 4-bit processor would be able to operate video games.

I'm no expert but I think it would, though it would probably have unimpressive graphics to say the least. The Odyssey and Pong didn't even have microprocessors as we know them, they used TTL logic . 4 bit microprocessors were first used in calculators, the first one came out around 1971. By the time the Odyssey 2 and the 2600 were being developed 8 bit microprocessors were already out so there was no need to use 4 bit ones. Atari was trying to make the best-cheapest system they could, and timing/price/availability led them to use the less sophisticated 6507 over the 6502 but they are both 8 bits.....cool eh?

Something like that anyways! I dunno.... :P