IGNORED

How do I view DOC file in an ATR image?

harpo

I have a file named "MYDOS 4.5 Docs.ATR" that came with my APE software. I have never used MYDOS before so I would like to view some documentation of the syntax and features of this DOS. How do I do that with this file? Is it meant to be viewed with a word processor such as AtariWriter? Is there any way to view it and print it out using Windows notepad or Word?

Thanks,

John S

I have a file named "MYDOS 4.5 Docs.ATR" that came with my APE software. I have never used MYDOS before so I would like to view some documentation of the syntax and features of this DOS. How do I do that with this file? Is it meant to be viewed with a word processor such as AtariWriter? Is there any way to view it and print it out using Windows notepad or Word?

Thanks,

John S

Just boot the DOS of your choice (as D1:)... Mount MYDOS 4.5 Docs.ATR as D2:, and run the word processor or text-editor/viewer of your choice, and load whatever text files the .ATR image contains...

if you just want to look at it, you can copy the file to the E: device and it will be displayed on the screen.. Use cntrl-1 to pause it as it scrolls by....

In the following examples, replace DOCFILE.TXT with the filename of the file you want to view.

in spartados: COPY D2:DOCFILE.TXT E:

in Mydos:

1. Press C

2. When it asks for "source,destination" type "D2:DOCFILE.TXT, E:"

If you want to print it to a printer, replace E: with P: in the examples above.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Thanks,

John S

Just boot the DOS of your choice (as D1:)... Mount MYDOS 4.5 Docs.ATR as D2:, and run the word processor or text-editor/viewer of your choice, and load whatever text files the .ATR image contains...

if you just want to look at it, you can copy the file to the E: device and it will be displayed on the screen.. Use cntrl-1 to pause it as it scrolls by....

In the following examples, replace DOCFILE.TXT with the filename of the file you want to view.

in spartados: COPY D2:DOCFILE.TXT E:

in Mydos:

1. Press C

2. When it asks for "source,destination" type "D2:DOCFILE.TXT, E:"

If you want to print it to a printer, replace E: with P: in the examples above.

Thanks for the information. I didn't think it would be that easy ;)

I went to Ken Sider's site and downloaded his AtrUtil95 1.13 program and placed it in the Windows folder. I then made a shortcut to it and placed that in the Send To folder. So now I right click on any .atr file and select AtrUtil from the the Send To list and the program launches with the atr contents on display. You can then view the contents of single highlighted files which employs an Atascii converter for your viewing pleasure. I believe you can also cut and paste into notepad from there directly and you can also extract and/or insert any type files from/into the atr one at a time. AtrUtil doesn't do SpartaDOS disks contents however. So there is a PC only solution with limits.

• 2 weeks later...
I went to Ken Sider's site and downloaded his AtrUtil95 1.13 program and placed it in the Windows folder. I then made a shortcut to it and placed that in the Send To folder. So now I right click on any .atr file and select AtrUtil from the the Send To list and the program launches with the atr contents on display. You can then view the contents of single highlighted files which employs an Atascii converter for your viewing pleasure. I believe you can also cut and paste into notepad from there directly and you can also extract and/or insert any type files from/into the atr one at a time. AtrUtil doesn't do SpartaDOS disks contents however. So there is a PC only solution with limits.

This was a GREAT idea! Works on most Dos 2 or 2.5 .atr images.

Thanks!