IGNORED

Found an undiscovered Commando POW location

Lord Thag

After some experimenting, I have discovered the 'missing' POW camp on level 1-4. It's pretty easy to get, actually:

Head north past the bridges until you get to paved 'airfield' area. The 'camp' is a hole in the ground, past the first gray hut on the right of the screen (right before you get the machine gun), and a bit south of the airplane. You basically walk around the gray building, stand just north of it, and start lobbing grenades. The camp is just a big black hole in the ground that contains a bunch of POWs, and an underground bridge flanked by a bottomless black pit. Again, it's just over the halfway point between the shack and the jet.

I'm working on 2-3 now. Anyone want to help look?

This would be another game where a stitched-together map may be a good idea.

-John

Be careful John, someone might take that as you are volunteering to do it. :P :D

Mitch

:ponder:

Mord, that's awesome! :D Now, things are getting interesting again.

Seems this was the same way that things happened the last time. :)

So, to refresh my memory, how many levels are there total?

I believe it's 8. Yes, I'm a bad 7800 owner, and haven't played Commando in awhile.

If that's the case, this will be a much quicker project than Scrapyard Dog maps.

-John

I'll see about cleaning map 1 up some (removing the player, although I doubt I'll remove all the enemies since they randomly walk on the screen) as I'm still getting back into this from 2006 when we did Scrapyard Dog. ;) I have map 2 done up to the broken bridge, but won't have time to finish it until early in the morning when I get back from work.

Want some help on the map cleanup? I don't mind that at all.

-John

If you want to, sure. I can just jump forward and finish map 2 and keep going and leave the cleanup of 1 to you. And going forward I'll try to at least keep the player out of the map I make to minimize the potential cleanup.

As for hosting the final maps, I'll leave that to others to figure out. I'm just the map stitcher here. :)

Edited by Mord

Working it now. Glad to be a part of the team again! :)

So, to find the other POW camps, I have a secret method that worked "once" for me.

Whenever you die (last life) near a POW location, it appears.

Wonder if people knew that little trick. Try it! You won't be disappointed.

This allows you one last shot if you don't have any grenades left.

I think we can get 'em all! Just make a save state at the beginning of each level with one life left, and then perpetually die on each screen.

If you see no change, reset. If you see the camp, you found it. :)

-John

First update to level 1 posted.

post-151-1235572270_thumb.png

This look acceptable?

I also added the POW camp location, so we'll need to stitch those scenes together at a later point, too.

I only have the mornings to do this work, so I can start on level 2 tomorrow. :)

Hmm... I have an old attachment here that I'm not quite sure how to delete.

Seems it gets attached anyway by default. Just ignore that one (with the big white garbage on the right).

-John

post-151-1235572065_thumb.png

Edited by Propane13

This is awesome! How are you marking the POW locations?

Check the bridge at the left-- there's a "hole" that appears on the left side when you lob a grenade at it.

Same hole appears whenever you find a POW camp.

When working on Scrapyard Dog's maps, I put some "indicators" in there (little blue lines) that pointed to text next to them that had a strategy point.

Here, if the hole for the POW camp is sufficient, I think that should be enough.

I thought about putting all the respawn locations on there (where you can start after you die), but there's too many.

This may just be pure, unspoiled maps.

-John

This is awesome! How are you marking the POW locations?

Check the bridge at the left-- there's a "hole" that appears on the left side when you lob a grenade at it.

Same hole appears whenever you find a POW camp.

When working on Scrapyard Dog's maps, I put some "indicators" in there (little blue lines) that pointed to text next to them that had a strategy point.

Here, if the hole for the POW camp is sufficient, I think that should be enough.

I thought about putting all the respawn locations on there (where you can start after you die), but there's too many.

This may just be pure, unspoiled maps.

-John

Excellent : )

Here are some save games for the start of levels 2 and 3 that I've made for prosystem emulator. They both should have a full set of lives and a bunch of grenades.

I'll admit that I'm not overly familiar with Commando so I don't know all the POW locations. If you guys could give a description of where each of the known ones are, I'll keep an eye open for them as I make the maps. :)

save_game.zip

Map 1-3. It's kind of messy at the end because it's damned hard stitching stuff together when you have nothing but uniform ground tiles. So I used the horizontally moving vehicles for the most part. Could potentially be off scale in a couple places where even the vehicles were gone, but I doubt it. The ground may look uniform but there there isn't exactly a LOT of repeating rows. Either way, it's good.

post-4460-1235679329_thumb.png