IGNORED

4-port bios

jc78_2005

i'm not too much on books smarts or learnin but if i were a bettin man i would have to say it is probably the one that has a sticker on it

haha thanks for the reply, unfortunatly none of the chips on my donor board have a sticker. maybe i can deduce the options when i get the 2 port granted that one has a sticker.

From a very old thread:

First, you have to disassemble the 5200. There are screws on the bottom holding it together (six or seven I think). After you get the screws out turn it back right side up and the top should lift off.

Next, you will need to remove the RF shielding. Use a pair of needle pliers and bend up the tabs holding the top portion of the shielding. Once they are all straight, it should lift off. Next comes the actual chip removal. You will need to find the bios chip, it is labeled CO19156 on the 4 port and CO19156A on the 2 port. If I remember correctly, it should be located near the center of the board. Assuming you don't have a chip puller, you will need a small flat bladed screwdriver. Carefully insert the blade of the screwdriver under one end of the chip between the chip and the socket and pry it up a little. Now repeat in the other end of the chip. After a few times of repeating this, the chip should pop out of the socket. Check all of the legs of the chip and make sure none of them are bent. If any are bent carefully straighten them.

From a very old thread:

First, you have to disassemble the 5200. There are screws on the bottom holding it together (six or seven I think). After you get the screws out turn it back right side up and the top should lift off.

Next, you will need to remove the RF shielding. Use a pair of needle pliers and bend up the tabs holding the top portion of the shielding. Once they are all straight, it should lift off. Next comes the actual chip removal. You will need to find the bios chip, it is labeled CO19156 on the 4 port and CO19156A on the 2 port. If I remember correctly, it should be located near the center of the board. Assuming you don't have a chip puller, you will need a small flat bladed screwdriver. Carefully insert the blade of the screwdriver under one end of the chip between the chip and the socket and pry it up a little. Now repeat in the other end of the chip. After a few times of repeating this, the chip should pop out of the socket. Check all of the legs of the chip and make sure none of them are bent. If any are bent carefully straighten them.

Wow, that's sounds so familiar, almost like someone pulled those thoughts out of my head. :D

Mitch

Wow, that's sounds so familiar, almost like someone pulled those thoughts out of my head. :D

Mitch

I should have just linked to the old thread from 2002, and I should give credit (to Mitch) where credit is due! :D

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ost&p=99348

well a HUGE! thanx to both of you. thank you mitch for the know how. and thank you mrreto for pointing out mitch's know how!