IGNORED

Anyone heard of this? Popeye Pac-man arcade

navy09

At the local flea market is a stand up arcade called Popeye Pac-man. They have it plugged in and it is simply a poor hack of Pac-man with Popeye's head in place of Pac-man; I believe it was from 1982. What a strange combination and I have to tell you it does not play or look as good as the real deal. :roll: Just curious if anyone has ever seen this before.

I used to play that game as a kid, I'm 37 years old... That is an obscure hack... I'd love to play that even in MAME, but I have never seen the rom dump... What state do you live? I would LOVE to own that...

At the local flea market is a stand up arcade called Popeye Pac-man. They have it plugged in and it is simply a poor hack of Pac-man with Popeye's head in place of Pac-man; I believe it was from 1982. What a strange combination and I have to tell you it does not play or look as good as the real deal. :roll: Just curious if anyone has ever seen this before.

I used to play that game as a kid, I'm 37 years old... That is an obscure hack... I'd love to play that even in MAME, but I have never seen the rom dump... What state do you live? I would LOVE to own that...

Been away for a few days, I've been especially busy as of late. I'm from VA and the flea market is in Norfolk. I went back to the flea market and while I'm not totally positive I believe the arcade price was jacked up 75 dollars. I was nearly certain the price last week was 375, but today I see it is 450. Not cheap for a flea market find, though being at a flea market I would bet you could work the price down. I took some pictures for anyone interested and have the phone number of the dealer, Jerry's Electronics, if you want to pm me. I guess I'm not so stealthy as I quickly drew the evil eye from several vendors as soon I took out my camera to take pictures of the arcade and a couple other things I was interested in. They probably thought I was a cop tracing stolen goods from the looks I received. I'm currently trying to add the pictures, but I may need a little help. I tried to add the attachment, but nothing uploaded.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ve seen that, weirdest hack ever

I used to play that game in the early-to-mid 1980s at Pacifica Home Video, which was located in Crespi Center here in Pacifica, CA. It had the disappearing maze, and when I asked one of the owners about it, she claimed the game was "not bootleg."

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this game is included in MacPacMAME, though I can't verify that, 'cause MacPacMAME won't run on an Intel Mac.

I used to play that game in the early-to-mid 1980s at Pacifica Home Video, which was located in Crespi Center here in Pacifica, CA. It had the disappearing maze, and when I asked one of the owners about it, she claimed the game was "not bootleg."

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this game is included in MacPacMAME, though I can't verify that, 'cause MacPacMAME won't run on an Intel Mac.

You got an Intel Mac? The only MAME that works on Intel Mac is MAME OS X. However, there isn't a MAME OS X that can play that by default. There is a way to play most Pac mac hacks. You just replace certain ROMs in the zip file and you'll get some CRC errors but it works.

You got an Intel Mac? The only MAME that works on Intel Mac is MAME OS X. However, there isn't a MAME OS X that can play that by default. There is a way to play most Pac mac hacks. You just replace certain ROMs in the zip file and you'll get some CRC errors but it works.

This doesn't work?

http://sdlmame.parodius.com/

Well, I've never figured out how to use and more importantly, I don't have a clue how to compile it.

Actually, MacMame works just fine on my Intel Mac. I run Mame OS X because with certain games, like Donkey Kong, MacMame doesn't emulate all of the sound effects. I keep MacMame around, however, 'cause there are tons of older ROMs that work just fine on MacMame, but won't play nicely with Mame OS X unless you go hunting all over Hell and creation for some obscure, missing part of the parent ROM set. It's kind of frustrating.

Actually, MacMame works just fine on my Intel Mac. I run Mame OS X because with certain games, like Donkey Kong, MacMame doesn't emulate all of the sound effects. I keep MacMame around, however, 'cause there are tons of older ROMs that work just fine on MacMame, but won't play nicely with Mame OS X unless you go hunting all over Hell and creation for some obscure, missing part of the parent ROM set. It's kind of frustrating.

Oh think I know why some of the sound FX for Donkey Kong aren't working on MacMAME. You might need sound samples for that. They're sound files for walking and climbing the ladders. Some users have complained that emulated sounds don't sound as great as the sound samples. So some of them use keep using the old MAMEs just to play Donkey Kong with sound samples.

I do roll my own MacMAMEs just so I can use MisfitMAME games. I believe I did roll a MacMAME with hacked Bagman months ago. I would roll my own MAME OS X but I just can't. I think it's because I'm using Tiger and rolling MAME OS X seems to need Leopard.