IGNORED

Thoughts on the 5200's stock controllers

Ransom

I just tried the CV version first (I thought it really stunk), then the 2600 version which is far more fun. I remember the game, but I'm surprised how crappy the CV version is. Although it looks nice, its too hard to jump over the lower fireballs.

I agree, the CV version is the worst. It looks great, but the playability just isn't there.

I love the "jump on your knees" feature, particularly on the 2600. :)

Cafeman, please remake Dragonfire for the 5200. I bet the stock analog controller would be lots of fun collecting treasure on the faster levels! :-)

Oooh...wouldn't it though!

Never having played Dragonfire, I detect sarcasm.

Hi There,

Wondering if Gauntlet would be able to run on a 5200? I think it should.

THANKS

anyone that says a working 5200 controller stinks didn't grow up with the sticks. 5200 controllers are one of the worse reliable sticks but when working is better than the 7800, intellivision, and colecovision imho. one of the most comfortable joysticks during that era. all of my friends that owned the 5200 loved the controllers when it worked....

Cafeman, please remake Dragonfire for the 5200. I bet the stock analog controller would be lots of fun collecting treasure on the faster levels! :-)

Oooh...wouldn't it though!

Never having played Dragonfire, I detect sarcasm.

Hi There,

Wondering if Gauntlet would be able to run on a 5200? I think it should.

THANKS

Yeah I always think Gauntlet would be fun on Atari. Speaking of the controllers, last night I played through a few games and did'nt have any problems. I have to say about one thing about these controllers, the feel of them is quite nostalgic. I like how there's a little grip thingy on top of the joystick and works really good for games like Pac-man and Dig Dug. Plus using the keypad for Star Raiders is alot of fun.

I'd have to say it does look like a telephone tho lol.

So there was never an A8 port of Gauntlet? I know there was A8 Dandy Dungeon, which was the inspiration for Logg creating Atari's Gauntlet.

Here's a quick mock-up using an Adventure II style graphics. But I think there'd have to be less detail on the floor to do all the enemies (which would have to be created with the bg character graphics since there's so many of them...)

post-37-1236781107_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cafeman

I LOVE the game Gauntlet. So don't take this wrong, but I don't think these classic systems including the 5200 could do a gauntlet version that even compares to the arcade version. Thus I don't think it should be done. We can always load up MAME on a PC these days to play Gauntlet at home.

Thats why I'm sticking with Dragonsfire as a good port that should be done.. :P

I just now looked at pictures of coin-op Gauntlet and I'm inclined to agree that the 5200 would have a lot of trouble recreating it without being choppy colorless and ugly. Gauntlet came out 1985 and has lots of color and high resolution, and tons of enemies. I don't know if its 16-bit but it looks like it - trying to port it to 5200's 1979-era hardware would be tough and maybe not worth it. Actually, it'd probably resemble Robotron 5200 a bit, only with castle walls and mazes.

Dragonfire ... hmmm. I wonder if Ken or Bryan or John would step up to the plate? :)

So there was never an A8 port of Gauntlet? I know there was A8 Dandy Dungeon, which was the inspiration for Logg creating Atari's Gauntlet.

Here's a quick mock-up using an Adventure II style graphics. But I think there'd have to be less detail on the floor to do all the enemies (which would have to be created with the bg character graphics since there's so many of them...)

I was trying to find the one from last year that someone coverted over already to 5200 that was like that though i couldn't find the name of it :?: . I had problems with the guy when i move and then it would crash on the Maxicart

Yes there is an Atari 8-bit version of Gauntlet. Plays a little choppy in my opinion. http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=2172

The NES Gauntlet 1 was really crappy. The second one on the NES was good actually... maybe it would'nt look so good on the 5200 afterall.

There are two buttons on my controller that are broken tho. Can't seem to get the Pause and Reset buttons working no matter how much I clean it out. Everything else works tho...

I couldn't get A800win to run the .atr or .atx from the atarimania linked page. I tried using the OSB and XL settings, with basic disabled - kept crashing. Why can I find no screenshots of the A8 version anywhere?

There are a couple of screen shots at atarimania of in game, you have to scroll down the screen shot list, then click to see a little bigger pic.

Based on the pics (I still couldn't figure out why the emulator crashes) , it sure looks uglier than it needed to be. At least the title screens are sweet.

Considering that this is a two-disk 64K Atari 8bit computer game, no way it'd be ported to 5200.

post-37-1237081673_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cafeman