IGNORED

HELP! ATARI NOT WORKING

TheDumbening

If it's unplugged in there, you won't see or hear anything on a connected television.

The only obvious thing you could try is to check that the power adapter is working...since a 6-switcher does not give any outward signs that it's receiving any. But I don't think that the RF cable is supposed to have that much slack inside the console.

She knows there's no longer a warranty on it, right? So opening it doesn't matter!

Depending on what you paid for it, it may not be worth the trouble (to try to convince your mom) anyway. If it comes to that, let her return the thing, and pick up another one. They're pretty cheap. It's too bad though, it's probably a super easy fix and you could spare her the trouble of having to return it.

If it's come loose, shake the console. Hold it in both hands, in front of you like you are looking at the top of it. Move up and down quickly. If you hear the cable slapping inside, that's an easy confirmation.

Show mom this thread!

We all know it's no big deal to plug the cable in, there is no high-voltage, and nobody is gonna get hurt. And it's kind of fun! It will only take about 10 minutes to sort out. Either it's plugged in, or it isn't.

Hey Mom! The woodies are pretty cool to have. Humor a young person, and take a quick look inside! Nobody is gonna no, and nobody is gonna care. Sometimes young people need to learn a few things, have some experiences. This is one of them. No harm, no foul. YOU will even be able to see where the cable goes. This is a Mother Son bonding moment for sure. Have a little adventure today!

If, the little cable isn't the trouble, just put the top back on and return it. The woody is worth a look see.

If you need some help, just fire up the computer, post what you see and many here will be happy to talk you through it.

Edited by potatohead

Yeah, don't worry about opening the console. There's nothing in there that can hurt you.

And plugging the cable back into the board is probably the safest possible thing you could do in there. In one of the other threads, I've been telling people which pins to cut on chips and where to solder things together :)

-Ian

K, I re-connected the internal coax and did a few modifications to the console. It runs perfectly now.

Feel free to close this thread

What mods did you do.

I'd say a little solder to put the rf connection back on the board? Probably a can of compressed air? Maybe a quick shake after putting it back together? WHALLAH! Good as new. Seriously the biggest problem I have come across with 2600's is the TIA chip. Sometimes just pop it out and pop it right back in. Other times it needs replaced. Oh the good ol' black screen of death. That's another story though. ;)

K, I re-connected the internal coax and did a few modifications to the console. It runs perfectly now.

Feel free to close this thread

What mods did you do.

I'd say a little solder to put the rf connection back on the board? Probably a can of compressed air? Maybe a quick shake after putting it back together? WHALLAH! Good as new. Seriously the biggest problem I have come across with 2600's is the TIA chip. Sometimes just pop it out and pop it right back in. Other times it needs replaced. Oh the good ol' black screen of death. That's another story though. ;)

Meh, I just put a Phono to F inside the Atari and replaced the original cable with a standard RF cable.