IGNORED

paddle from a wico # keypad

Mot

I have a Wico Command Control Numeric Keypad and want to make a paddle control that connects to it’s 9 pin and my question are:

Is the pot different in a 5200 joystick vs 2600 paddle?

Are there enough wires in a 2600 paddle connecter?

Are there enough wires in a 2600 driving connecter?

I have a Wico Command Control Numeric Keypad and want to make a paddle control that connects to it’s 9 pin and my question are:

Is the pot different in a 5200 joystick vs 2600 paddle?

Are there enough wires in a 2600 paddle connecter?

Are there enough wires in a 2600 driving connecter?

The pots are different values 250K in the 5200 vs. 1M for the 2600 paddle. You could use a 1M on the 5200 but you won't get the full range of movement. As far as wires go, your best bet would be a 9-wired sega genesis extension cable or one from a sega genesis controller. The driving and joystick controller cables aren't wired at the proper pins to mate up with the Wico keypad and the paddle cables are split into two and you only need one.

Here's the Wico's pinout.

1. +5v

2. NC

3. GND

4. Top Fire

5. Bottom Fire

6. Vertical Pot.

7. Pot. Common Wire

8. Horizontal Pot.

9. NC

The easiest thing to do would be to solder a genesis wire up to a 2600 paddle. You'll only get about half the range of movement but it will work pretty well.

Thanks Prodos8.

I did get 2 5200 pots from Best a while back and so I guess I will replace it in a paddle and find a way to connect it.

Paddle games (I think) are:

1) Kaboom!

2) Castle Crisis (don't have)

3) Tempest (don't have)

4) Space Invaders

5) Galaxian

I don't know if it is worth it mainly just for Kaboom!

Looking at my list, I guess only one button is needed, unless some of the games use different buttons. I could make it press both buttons at the same time.

I've made a paddle using a wico joystick that plugs into the keypad. I used the 2600 paddle pot and it works just fine.

I've also used the 2600 paddle pots in stock 5200 controllers , to make them paddles, also works fine. I've sold several on ebay made this way years ago.