IGNORED

USB Converters

I just got the Genesis to USB from Retrozone..you can't map the fire button on Stella :(

Unless the adaptor is doing something weird and/or requires specific drivers for Windows (which I assume is what you're using), then I find it hard to believe that it won't work in Stella. Rule of thumb is, if the device works without any extra drivers (ie, it's plug and play), and you can see the buttons working in the Windows control center joystick application, then it should work in Stella. Now, Stella may not see it right away, and you may have to go into its event remapping to assign the button to 'fire', but it can be made to work. I'd be very surprised if it won't work for you.

Try plugging in the adaptor, letting it run, then starting stella. I've seen many emulators not register a joystic if you plug it in while the game is running, even known working sticks.

As for cost, I don';t know, I bought an X in one adaptor a year or two ago and it cost $15. But then, that was walmart, and they were all modern console controllers.

Try plugging in the adaptor, letting it run, then starting stella. I've seen many emulators not register a joystic if you plug it in while the game is running, even known working sticks.

As for cost, I don';t know, I bought an X in one adaptor a year or two ago and it cost $15. But then, that was walmart, and they were all modern console controllers.

Yes, this is absolutely the case for Stella as well. It only registers/detects joysticks when the the application is first started. Anything plugged in after that isn't detected at all (until you run the application again). Most games and emulators work this way, actually.