IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (GBC) tricks and glitches

There are a couple of fun-to-do glitches/tricks in the NES Super Mario Bros.; but I've been unable to do any of them in the GBC's Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. Anybody know if these things are possible?

I read on gamefaqs.com that you can't get to minus world in SMB Deluxe, though I haven't tried. Anyone confirm this one way or another?

I have tried to get small fiery mario (i.e., hit the axe and Bowser at the same time) several times, and while I can usually do this pretty easily on the NES, it hasn't worked once in SMBD. Anyone know if it can be done?

Or the variation where you touch the axe and Bowser at the same time while small and simultaneously die and beat the level. :)

Hmmm. A youtube search turned up this odd variation:

I've also tried jumping past the axe a couple of times and haven't been able to do it, though again, I don't usually have much trouble on the NES. Anyone know if it can be done in SMBD? I think that's my personal favorite - it's a little difficult, requires some finesse, and just looks cool. Can't find a video of this one... Actually, a Google search isn't turning up even any mention of this? Anyone else even heard of this?

How about the glitch where if you duck and swim in the water levels your head is untouchable? That seems to be gone as well, which is a bummer since that's my crutch in the water levels...see the end of the minus world video above for a brief glimpse of this (where he gets stuck in the wall).

Edited by vdub_bobby

I'm sure Deluxe has it's own glitches, but I do know that either A) it doesn't have the NES Minus or ax, or B) I simply can't pull them off (the bowser graphic is different, so the ax is probably gone) I had a hard enough time getting the minus reliably so I might not be able to do it on the GBC.

The duck swim simply doesn't work, and they filled the last square on the water level, so even if it did, you couldn't swim into the wall.

Edited by Video

I'm sure Deluxe has it's own glitches, but I do know that either A) it doesn't have the NES Minus or ax, or B) I simply can't pull them off (the bowser graphic is different, so the ax is probably gone) I had a hard enough time getting the minus reliably so I might not be able to do it on the GBC.

The duck swim simply doesn't work, and they filled the last square on the water level, so even if it did, you couldn't swim into the wall.

I love the duck swim because it makes it much easier to get through the water levels (which are lame) without getting hit.

I hear you, I only like the water levels when I got fire Mario, because it's more than a moving obstical course then.

Hmm...wonder if the GBA NES Classic Super Mario Bros is a closer match to the NES with the intact minus ax and duckswim? Unfortunately, its a pain to find a copy of that game.

Cool, wonder if that is a new level, or if the GS just hackes up the "where yo0u are" data (of course, technically, that's what the minus world is...)

Eithere way, it was worth it, if nothing else, for the hard ass Lost Level game (or SMB2J, whichever you prefer) Wonder if that's on Super Mario Bros for GBA, probably not, but eh...

I hear you, I only like the water levels when I got fire Mario, because it's more than a moving obstical course then.

Hmm...wonder if the GBA NES Classic Super Mario Bros is a closer match to the NES with the intact minus ax and duckswim? Unfortunately, its a pain to find a copy of that game.

Glitches are intact, it was emulated for the NES Classic release.

• 14 years later...
On 4/1/2009 at 1:09 PM, Video said:

In Deluxe, the hole above the exit pipe remains, but the glitch was still fixed in that Mario's hitbox is always large whenever Super or Fiery, even when crouching down. This also means that sometimes a Blooper can hit you while standing.

Also, in the NES SMB it's impossible to continuously earn 1-UPs via turtle tipping without falling off of it occasionally, but in Deluxe, while you still have the old NES rate of bounce ($FC) it was still "fixed" elsewhere in that you're able to continuously turtle-tip without falling off (a la Super Mario All-Stars; in that game, they fixed the bounce rate to $FB, which I read is the actual correct bounce rate that should've applied to the NES release). And like SMAS, the lives counter glitch was fixed but stops at one less: 127 vs. 128.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981