IGNORED

Pitfall 7800 version?

moycon

I remember many, many years ago one summer, reading a magazine article in one of the video game magazines about the upcoming Atari 7800. I remember deciding right then and there I was going to get an Atari 7800 and I even spent the summer designing a super AWESOME (In my mind) arcade cabinet made out of cardboard boxes to house the system. Here's the thing. I swear that article had a screen shot of Pitfall. I still have some of my older magazines so I may still have it somewhere. Does anyone else remember this? Was Pitfall ever mentioned for the the 7800?

I remember many, many years ago one summer, reading a magazine article in one of the video game magazines about the upcoming Atari 7800. I remember deciding right then and there I was going to get an Atari 7800 and I even spent the summer designing a super AWESOME (In my mind) arcade cabinet made out of cardboard boxes to house the system. Here's the thing. I swear that article had a screen shot of Pitfall. I still have some of my older magazines so I may still have it somewhere. Does anyone else remember this? Was Pitfall ever mentioned for the the 7800?

I'm more interested in seeing a picture of the super awesome arcade cabinet made out of boxes myself!

Ha Ha Ha

AdeptRapier

:)

It's possible that Activivision was considering developing Pitfall for the 7800 when Atari announced they were working on the 7800. However, by looking at many of the other ports of Pitfall to systems like the 5200, Colecovision, etc, there really wasn't much gained other than some additional background graphics. I'm not sure how Activision would have improved on this game on the 7800.

I actually found the magazine. Wasn't hard at all, I probably read that thing a dozen times over the summer I was SO excited about the 7800. The pictures of the games were AMAZING to me. Anyways. It seems the pictures on the page were actually in regards to the 5200. I am fairly certain that didn't register in my young mind when I was reading the article over and over. Looking back now not only is it in regards to the 5200, but it's a mock up.

post-544-1239234882_thumb.jpg

I would love to see the C64 port of Pitfall II brought over to the 7800 complete with graphics and pokey sound...

post-18-1239403608_thumb.png

Of course, the ultimate dream would be Pitfall and Pitfall II for the 7800 on one cart :D

-Trebor

EDIT: The only thing to surpass the ultimate dream is all the above with the inclusion of the 8-bit/5200 2nd mission/game of Pitfall II included as well!

Edited by Trebor

I would love to see the C64 port of Pitfall II brought over to the 7800 complete with graphics and pokey sound...

post-18-1239403608_thumb.png

Of course, the ultimate dream would be Pitfall and Pitfall II for the 7800 on one cart :D

-Trebor

EDIT: The only thing to surpass the ultimate dream is all the above with the inclusion of the 8-bit/5200 2nd mission/game of Pitfall II included as well!

I guess it would be cool if a potential 7800 version added something that the 2600 version didn't have. I mean, come on, the 2600 versions of both of these games are totally awesome, I don't have a single problem at all playing them. It's not like the difference between the 2600 and 7800 Pacmans. There is a true reason to play the 7800 version, but what is the 7800 version of Pitfall going to add???

AdeptRapier

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Considering how Activision protects their trademarks I'd be surprised if anyone tried making something like this for the 7800. If something was made I'd rather it be like Adventure II in that it's more of a sequel instead of the same game again.

Agreed... a true Pitfall 3 with a new story line. The 2600 versions of Pitfall 1 and 2 are all I need.

Yeah, a Pitfall! and Pitfall! II combo cart would be nice -- as long as there's an option to turn off the music in II. Really gets on my nerves after a few minutes.

Shh. Before long either cpuwiz or Shawn Sr. will be selling those in Xonox double ender cartridges. :D

Just kidding. You guys are great.

Thinking about this some more, Impossible Mission could make an interesting Pitfall game on the 7800. It is already somewhat set into caverns. Some graphical hacks changing things like robot to mummy or have them look like statues or skeletons as well as changing searching for parts/pieces into treasures like gold bars and rings also could make for a very pitfall-like game.

The reset and freeze features could also be translated into some sort of ancient/Aztec like spell or trick which impacts the game causing the same effect but on mummies, life-statues and skeletons instead of robots.

This would be a much better graphical offering from the 2600/5200 games (Just think of the improvement in the "Harry" design alone), as well as providing a different gameplay element not in the previously two games.

Anyway, just thought I throw the idea out there.

-Trebor

Unfortuntly there was never a 7800 version of Pitfall, and that was what killed Atari, had it been ported to the 7800 and not the NES, maybe Atari would still be around today.

More of an effect, than a cause. I think publishers saw the writing on the wall.