IGNORED

Pitfall 7800 version?

moycon

Those games already look about as good as they can. Ever seen the 8-bit/5200 versions? They're virtually identical, with just slightly more detailed graphics. The situation with Activision games is not the same as with, say, BurgerTime and Pac-Man, because Activision always designed to the strengths of the hardware.

Those games already look about as good as they can. Ever seen the 8-bit/5200 versions? They're virtually identical, with just slightly more detailed graphics. The situation with Activision games is not the same as with, say, BurgerTime and Pac-Man, because Activision always designed to the strengths of the hardware.

I agree. The versions of Activision's 2600 games that were released for other platforms were, at best, clones of the originals with only moderately upgraded graphics, with some (like Pitfall II on the 800) even working off of the original 2600 source code. At worst, they were released on systems like the Intellivision, which had different strengths in areas other than the ones the original designs relied upon, so you ended up with versions that were actually worse than the originals.

Doing a 7800 version of a 2600 game is more difficult than doing an 800/5200 version, since the 7800 does not share the 2600's player/missile graphics design. MARIA can emulate it, to be sure, but it's a lot more work to implement, and I'd rather see 7800 developers put their efforts into something original. I'm already somewhat unhappy with the number of ports that the 7800 gets (although, since most of them have been excellent, I haven't complained much).

I actually found the magazine. Wasn't hard at all, I probably read that thing a dozen times over the summer I was SO excited about the 7800. The pictures of the games were AMAZING to me. Anyways. It seems the pictures on the page were actually in regards to the 5200. I am fairly certain that didn't register in my young mind when I was reading the article over and over. Looking back now not only is it in regards to the 5200, but it's a mock up.

Which issue of Electronic Games is that, please?

BTW, isn't it funny that EG is all upset about the 5200 demise as it was a big loss, but then is questioning the 7800 viability?

I would like to see the 5200 version of Pitfall II ported to the 7800 because it's a real shame that the second level they added is only available on the 5200.

As far as I know, the Atari 400/800/XL/XE version has it as well.

Yes it did. People seem to forget that for some reason. :)

Tempest

I would like to see the 5200 version of Pitfall II ported to the 7800 because it's a real shame that the second level they added is only available on the 5200.

I'm not going to buy a whole system I'm not interested in for one game.

Damn, you don't ask for much do you? You want someone to port a game coded for a completely different system just so you don't have to buy a 400/800/XL/XE system? icon_lol.gif

If the controllers are the issue, there's all kinds of alternatives. Look up Prodos on here, he makes great adapters that let you use 2600/ Sega controllers on your 5200. Or, see if you can find a Coin Controls Competition Pro joystick. I have a pair of these and they are top notch. Of course, you still need a working 5200 controller for the keypad.

competition_pro.jpg

Damn, you don't ask for much do you? You want someone to port a game coded for a completely different system just so you don't have to buy a 400/800/XL/XE system? icon_lol.gif

I already did a conversion to 7800 with Tempest from the BBC micro, so its not impossible :P. I didn't know much about the Beeb when I started it either.

A $30 Atari computer would be a whole hell of a lot cheaper than the time required to code a whole new version of Pitfall II, or even the time required to modify the 800/XL/XE version for the 7800. If you love the game that much, why not just get the system?

A $30 Atari computer would be a whole hell of a lot cheaper than the time required to code a whole new version of Pitfall II, or even the time required to modify the 800/XL/XE version for the 7800.

Race anybody? Anybody? Anybody? "Ferris Bueller in the house ;)).

A $30 Atari computer would be a whole hell of a lot cheaper than the time required to code a whole new version of Pitfall II, or even the time required to modify the 800/XL/XE version for the 7800. If you love the game that much, why not just get the system?

I can already play it on both teh PC and my Sony PSP in emulators.

I would like to play it on an original Atari console, but not badly enough that I want to buy a whole system I'm not interested in just for that game.

It's not like I'm making demands of anyone here. I said I'd like to see it ported to the 7800. Doesn't mean I'm upset that it likely won't be. I'd also like to see that potential port have better graphics tahn the 5200/800 version, or even more levels. I like the series of games, and there aren't enough adventure games like it for the 7800. really - only impossible mission which was a complete failure since it can't be finished.

Edited by Underball