IGNORED

$50 for five power cords?

homerwannabee

Well, these are brand new and free shipping, which is good since they are somewhat heavy. It's interesting that there's a power switch on the cord itself. Also, they are 10 feet--how long are the normal Atari power cables? I know they are damn long and always getting tangled up. If you go to Radio Shack (or some other electronics store) and buy a brand new power supply that will work with the 2600, you'd probably pay at least $10 with tax.

..Al

I see lots of adapters at thrifts/flea markets/swap meets, but almost never with the kind of plug needed for a 2600. Just scabbed two different ones together the other day to make the right setup for a 'Vader I recently scored. Even new universal adapters I see don't have that kind of plug anymore.

Edited by brojamfootball

Well, these are brand new and free shipping, which is good since they are somewhat heavy. It's interesting that there's a power switch on the cord itself. Also, they are 10 feet--how long are the normal Atari power cables? I know they are damn long and always getting tangled up. If you go to Radio Shack (or some other electronics store) and buy a brand new power supply that will work with the 2600, you'd probably pay at least $10 with tax.

..Al

Agreed. All in all not bad from a hardware perspective.

The best power supply (for anything really) would have a fuse, a switch and regulation in the unit, not just at the device it sends power to. The switch is interesting.

Really, the power supplies I see lately (I mean from the 90's to now) consist of transformer, capacitor, diode, maybe two caps and two diodes, and that's all. Zero regulation, and that baffles me.

Really, the power supplies I see lately (I mean from the 90's to now) consist of transformer, capacitor, diode, maybe two caps and two diodes, and that's all. Zero regulation, and that baffles me.

Don't go considering these power supplies now. They are wall warts, and they have always been basicly nothing more than a voltage step down unit. Even back in the 70's. Most wall warts just don't have regulation, not even the ones putting out DC. Typically didn't need it either because the end device did the regulation.