IGNORED

Atari 5200 screen problems?

PoopDeritis

I have an atari 5200 that works great and so do the controllers but almost all of my games get thee weird wavy lines messing up the graphics. It is still playable but it looks horrible, things look like their cut in half and its really bothersome. So if anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate that.

Nice to know you got your hands on one of the neatest consoles ever devised... :D

Now to get it working right--a messed up picture aint no fun.

If the game(s) run ok and respond properly to input from the controllers, you're more than half way there.

Are you using a new HD/LCD flat widescreen type TV or an older tube set? You may be experiencing the "venetian blinds effect" if using your classic system on a newer non-tube set. Also, make sure your channel select switch is not on ch2(square)--that might really mess things up since there's usually a local ch2 signal(for the time being). The 'Circle' is ch3 and is the default setting from the factory.

--Later

Nice to know you got your hands on one of the neatest consoles ever devised... :D

Now to get it working right--a messed up picture aint no fun.

If the game(s) run ok and respond properly to input from the controllers, you're more than half way there.

Are you using a new HD/LCD flat widescreen type TV or an older tube set? You may be experiencing the "venetian blinds effect" if using your classic system on a newer non-tube set. Also, make sure your channel select switch is not on ch2(square)--that might really mess things up since there's usually a local ch2 signal(for the time being). The 'Circle' is ch3 and is the default setting from the factory.

--Later

Hey, I made sure is was one the circle and double checked all the cord but i still get that effect. Heres a picture of Pac-man for the 5200: post-23177-1240612585_thumb.jpg

Well, that's not very good.....

I had a similiar problem on a system that would do this after it warmed up a bit (say after 5 minutes of game play). It was somethign in the RF modulator on the system board (the Silver box thing on the system board). I replaced it with another off of dead system, and it fixed the problem.

Do you have a 2 port or a 4 port system?

Well, that's not very good.....

I had a similiar problem on a system that would do this after it warmed up a bit (say after 5 minutes of game play). It was somethign in the RF modulator on the system board (the Silver box thing on the system board). I replaced it with another off of dead system, and it fixed the problem.

Do you have a 2 port or a 4 port system?

I have the 2 port and my tv as you can see is a flat tube tv

Well, being a 2-port system, we can't blame that odd-ball design of the 4 port system. :)

I'm thinking this might have something to do with the RF modulator. If it's not that, could be something odd with the TIA chip.... Do you get this problem on other TV's?

Unfortunetly, at this point, you kind of need another system to swap parts off of. I wish I could be more help here, but that is all I have to offer. So sorry!

It does look like an RF problem. Could be the RF modulator as previously stated, but that's getting into potentially deep water, repair-wise.

Do you have any other signal source hooked up to the TV? It kind of looks like another signal on the same channel could be interfering.

Maybe the RF cable is damaged?