IGNORED

The "I got my Skunkboard!" Thread

Hyper_Eye

Just a question : the holes and the PCB shape makes me think you intended to put the PCB inside a plastic enclosure.

Why did you abandon the idea ?

The dimensions are set up so that you can modify an existing Jaguar cart for use as an enclosure. So, people who are mechanically gifted might try that hack.

I really would have liked to do a custom cart shell, but the prices just didn't work out. The tooling is very expensive (minimum $3000), and that assumes the design has no errors. Since injection mold design is sort of a black art, it was hard to find experienced designers that would do that kind of design for under 20 hours @ $100/hr. If I had done it myself, and made a mistake, it could have been $6000 or $9000 in 'lessons learned'. ;)

If I had a project where I thought the quantity would support it, I would _definitely_ do plastic shells!

- KS

Just a question : the holes and the PCB shape makes me think you intended to put the PCB inside a plastic enclosure.

Why did you abandon the idea ?

Like KSkunk said, we never intended to. We put the notches there so you can, if you're so inclined. At your own risk, of course. :) This was occasionally noted as a desired feature in the first run, and it cost us nothing to add.

Just a quick note - Belboz was quick and let me know that I didn't actually update the archive -- I uploaded Skunkboard.zip instead of SkunkBoard.zip, so if you already downloaded 2.02.05, you still ended up with the old one. :) I've fixed the archive, so please go ahead and redownload if so.

Gonna cross-post this note. :)

Well, the board is keyed to fit with the USB ports and guts facing the back. This effects the profile in the Jaguar cartridge so that it is too high to close (since the USB slots are in the way, and the five pin connection.) After I dremmel the back of the cartridge shell this might fit better. Interesting.

Well, the board is keyed to fit with the USB ports and guts facing the back. This effects the profile in the Jaguar cartridge so that it is too high to close (since the USB slots are in the way, and the five pin connection.) After I dremmel the back of the cartridge shell this might fit better. Interesting.

That's correct. You have to be pretty good with the dremel to make an existing case fit. I'd love to see pictures of what you've got cooking. It's possible to leave part of the front section of the cart in place and dremel down the back section to hide the USB cable from in front.

- KS

That's correct. You have to be pretty good with the dremel to make an existing case fit. I'd love to see pictures of what you've got cooking. It's possible to leave part of the front section of the cart in place and dremel down the back section to hide the USB cable from in front.

- KS

I see a loose Check Flag in my near future... :cool:

Well gang, here is what I got when I converted a cartridge shell to the Skunkboard:

HOLY ****! :lust: Where can I buy one of these shells? :lust: :D

Seriously, that is absolutely great. That's pretty much how I hoped it would work, but I'm not talented enough with the power tools to pull it off.

Congratulations on having the first Skunkboard in a shell!

- KS

Nice work Clu! My own test cart doesn't look half as nice (it doesn't count as first cause it was a test fit ;) ). I like the way you cut the round bit at the top for the cable! :) I also like how you kept enough of the shell to screw it back together, for my test fit I cut the whole back in half.

I do notice mine gets a bit warm - not bad, but warm, with use.. keep an eye on yours at first till you are confident it doesn't get hot. :)

Yes, good job doctorclu!, you've solved two problems inherent in making a case for the Skunk in a regular Jaguar Cartridge shell:

#1 First and formost is cooling of the board, as Tursi noted the Skunks have not been thermally tested and do run a temperature when operating, so you're opening up the back of the cart is exactly what is needed so hot air can rise up and out of the case. That's great, it's nice size opening so you don't have to worry much about overheating. ;)

#2 Because the Skunks are small, I was thinking a Jag cart case for the Skunk would have to be something like what's on an Alpine - a half cart which is missing the top part of the cart and handle. But you have kept good asthetics by leaving the cart handle on so it looks better and more professional and not a hack-up job! Very nice man. This part of your design is righteous! :cool: :D

Also, the notch in the back of the handle is cool, it looks more professional if the cable is able to exit straight up and not just out the cooling hole in the back -nice. :)

The SkunkBoard label on the front is the topper, that's awesome man!

Edited by ovalbugmann

I ordered 2 but they accidentally shipped me 1. The second one is on the way. Luckily the first one is here and after lunch I will be trying it out!

In the meantime I have pictures.

Thanks for posting pictures of your Skunkboard 2 shipment. Now we know how it will look like.

All looks really excellent!

Well gang, here is what I got when I converted a cartridge shell to the Skunkboard:

How did you get your Skunkboard to fit in the Cart shell? I've tried I couldn't get the Skunkboard to fit! :razz:

This is picture might clear that up.

post-4709-1240664950_thumb.jpg

I had to make clearance for the USB ports. When I was done the yellow block part of the box label I stuck over the bottom portion edge of the bottom to make it look a bit neater.

Thank you everyone on your comments!! How I came up with the cut out I did... I tried to dremmel and grind down the inside of the cartridge to make way for the USB ports, but it was not enough, so I said "Screw it" and just used a circular cutting bit to cut away around the "ATARI" on the back of the cartridge, and then cut away the USB ports. The cable didn't have enough clearance, so that is when I added the part at the top of the handle (Circular cutter and then rounded the top off with a grinding bit).

Dremmel is your friend in the hobby world. :P Whoever came up with the idea of using a dental drill for hobby use... just awesome!

So touching on what others have said, KSkunk, nice work on the box label. That plastic decal peeled off real nice and that is what I used on the cartridge shell. :) (Maybe in the future just put it in the box on the wax backing in case others want to use it for a shell project.) ;) (Just tape the backing to the top of the box that way it decorates the top of the box, but ready to be used as a cartridge label. For now be careful not to stretch the label as you remove it.

Tursi, yeh you have to be careful to cut away between the screws. With the USB ports it's a tight fit. And you said you liked the notch in the handle... I might add ones like it if the side USB ports are used. But for now, just figured to go with the one in the middle.

Ovalbugmann, you know I had no idea how hot the cartridge ran since I have only powered it up once. :) I thought I would get a shell around it to protect it, and the large hole in the back and notch at top, the logical progression. :) And the label... Kskunk made a perfect label on top of the box that was just the right size. Good forward thinking! But anyway, the way the hole turned out, and the way the cable ran just worked out I guess. :)

Jaguar_fan & datheratman, thanks!

Wickeycolumbus, now is probably an excellent time to get a Jaguar. At least try to get a Skunkboard NOW and decide later. This Skunkboard does for $90 what it used to take $350 or more for the traditional flash cards that Atari made. So if I were you, get the Skunkboard, get the Jaguar (contact me when you do and I'll help give some pointers) and if you don't like it, there will probably be someone that will be lined up to buy that SKunkboard (and Jaguar) from you. Skunkboard will easily have a buy, and Buddy Buddies will probably buy the Jaguar. :P

post-4709-1240673133_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

Ovalbugmann, you know I had no idea how hot the cartridge ran since I have only powered it up once. :)

It shouldn't get that hot to the touch. It should be a little warm in your hand after a good play session. It uses about 3 watts which shouldn't require any ventilation. The hole in the back will be fine!

For comparison, the Jaguar uses about 45 watts running a demanding game like AvP, and it has pretty minimal vents.

- KS