IGNORED

Digikey

yuppicide

Ordering from Digikey is far too expensive from this side of the pond :(. Luckily we have Farnell and RS. If you are really, really, really desperate then as a last resort we have Maplin. Maplin used to be good in the 80's but these days unless its horrible disco gear, tv aerial wire or one of 6 resistors they stock you are gonna be out of luck in my opinion :(.

Yup. Used Digikey many times in the past 18 years.

Mouser is good too, so is Unicorn Electronics, MPJA, All Electronics, MCM Electronics. All companies I've done business with.

Only thing is minimum orders and/or surcharges for unders under minimum, and shipping costs.

Sometimes, if you only need a couple of things, it's cheaper and easier just to go to RS and pay more for them.

Could also look in the phonebook and see what mom & pop electronic componente places exist in your area (if any).

Edited by Artlover

My default is to use Mouser, as their prices more times than not, are better than Digikey, and like others have said, lack of the minimum order. I have also been using SparkFun lately, but they are more specialized.

--Selgus

Digikey is cool. I've used them to buy arcade parts and chips and a few other things. Reasonably priced, fast shipping, no problems. Can't really go wrong IMO.

Not that I'm adding much that isn't already said, just my two cents. :P

Thanks. I was only ordering some batteries for work. CR2032's which go on the motherboard. Drives me crazy that my computer doesn't keep time at work.

I got 10 batteries plus shipping for about $7.50 total and in Radio Shack I'd have paid $11.99 for 3 plus tax!

Ordering from Digikey is far too expensive from this side of the pond :(. Luckily we have Farnell and RS. If you are really, really, really desperate then as a last resort we have Maplin. Maplin used to be good in the 80's but these days unless its horrible disco gear, tv aerial wire or one of 6 resistors they stock you are gonna be out of luck in my opinion :(.

I like old resistors and capacitors :roll:

Don't get me started on Farnell.

One thing annoying is their website on a whole. I check them out about twice a year, and for several years I was never even able to reach a site because it was always down for maint or reconstruction. And I don't mean down for just a few days, I mean down for atleast several weeks (after 3 weeks of trying every single day, I give up).

Another thing annoying thing about them is their international sales. They in 38 countires directly. By that I mean they have a local country website and contact information for those countries. Counties like China, Brazil, Israel, Romania, Turkey. But countries like USA and Canada have to go through their export division.

A long time ago, when I first wanted to place an order with them, they seemed to be hooked up with Newark Electronics here in the USA & Canada. Only Newark didn't carry any of the same products. Looking at their distributers list now, they don't seem to be connected to the North Amercia's at all anymore. Going on 15 years+ later, I'm still wanting to place an order with them and they still don't offer any reasonable way for people from here to do so like most international compnaies do. :x Really sucks too because they are the only company I've ever found that actually has the oddball parts I need to fix my old Sony monitor.

I think that Digikey may have done away with the minimum order. I needed some stuff the my local Radio Shack didn't stock so I placed an order yesterday. My last order with them was kind of big so I didn't remember if they had a minimum order. Yesterday's order was only about $8 and change before shipping. There were some minimums on part orders, such as a minimum of 10 resistors or a particular value, but since I needed 8 of them and they were 9 cents apiece, it wasn't too expensive to buy the 10.

JY

It would be awesome if Digikey dropped the minimum order.

Prices are usually OK (better if you buy lots)

Selection is awesome, and stuff gets here fast.

And how many 3 inch thick catalogs get mailed to you gratis these days =D