IGNORED

Patrick Bass Dead?

Tempest

I was doing some research on RS Basketball for the Atari 5200 when I came across this little blurb on a computer awards page.

Patrick Bass (1997) for Atari SW (Posthumous)

Does this mean that Patrick Bass is dead? I thought I heard a rumor about that years ago, but I passed it off as a myth (much like the Matthew Hubbard is dead myth). Anyone know for sure?

Tempest

Sorry Tempest,

I have no idea if Patrick Bass is still alive or if yes, where he is.

But for those interested here are a bunch of articles he wrote for Start magazine.

http://www.atarimagazines.com/index/index....+Bass&mag=antic

Anybody know if he wrote anything else for Atari other than 5200 RS Basketball?

One more thing. Here's a quote from one of his articles. Maybe this might help you in your search. It says his family is from Southern California.

Patrick Bass Wrote in '85:

So one Thursday when I'd just gotten home from being told I was overqualified to deliver pizzas, my father told me Antic phoned and wanted me to come up to San Francisco and see the editors. The next morning I hopped onto my Yamaha 250 motorcycle and hit the freeway. Shortly before noon, Antic sat me down at a 520ST and wouldn't let me leave.

Allan

I was doing some research on RS Basketball for the Atari 5200 when I came across this little blurb on a computer awards page.

Does this mean that Patrick Bass is dead?  I thought I heard a rumor about that years ago, but I passed it off as a myth (much like the Matthew Hubbard is dead myth).  Anyone know for sure?

Tempest

I'm pretty sure that he has passed away. After losing touch with him many years ago, I also did a search and turned up the page you mentioned. I emailed the people responsible for the page about a year ago to ask if he had truly passed away and never got any response.

His last known location, to me anyway, was El Paso, TX.

John

In the music world, like classical music...posthumous refers to work published AFTER a composer has died. Like there are several Chopin classical pieces that are Posthumous, meaning that he didn't get around to publishing them before he died, so someone else did it for him.

Posthumous usually means cool stuff that a composer never wanted anyone to know about, because they thought it was bad-or incomplete, or whatever. It becomes more cool because of that reason.

But who knows what Posthumous has come to mean nowdays...

• 5 months later...
I don't know if this is the same Patrick Bass or not, but this is the information that I could find.

PATRICK W BASS  Request Information (SS-5)  

SSN *DELETED* Residence:  99218  Spokane, Spokane, WA  

Born 26 Feb 1948 Last Benefit:      

Died 6 Oct 1992 Issued:  WA (1963)

Dude if that's really his SSN (or anybody's real SSN) you shouldn't publish that information in a public forum.

• Like 1

I am sorry for listing the social security number. The information that I provided was from the U.S. government social security web site. Since this person has passed away the information is considered public information. You can actually go on that site and type in a name and if that name is in the database the social security number will show up.

I am sorry for listing the social security number.  The information that I provided was from the U.S. government social security web site.  Since this person has passed away the information is considered public information.  You can actually go on that site and type in a name and if that name is in the database the social security number will show up.

That's fine because it's on a U.S. government site, but that doesn't mean it's fine to reprint that information outside the site. I've seen too many cases in the news and on TV of indentity thefts that occured when someone took the SSN off of somebody who was dead and created false ID's and even credit cards. Someone doing it local to the family of the victim would be caught, but on the internet the thief could be thousands and thousands of miles away from the source and years could go by with someone lying and stealing all in a dead person's name - it's a truly disgusting thought no? But this is getting Off-Topic.

Wow. That is sad.

The couple of times I spoke with him years ago, he seemed like a really nice guy. Now I wish I had talked to him more.

Thanks for confirming that info Dutchman.

John

I was in contact with his family who confirmed this and gave me the information.

• 17 years later...
On 9/27/2002 at 7:55 AM, Tempest said:

Does this mean that Patrick Bass is dead? I thought I heard a rumor about that years ago, but I passed it off as a myth (much like the Matthew Hubbard is dead myth). Anyone know for sure?

Tempest

Patrick Bass was my roommate in 1998 in Houstln, TX.  I can verify he died that year in an automobile accident in Baton Rouge traveling from our appt in Houston to Memphis in 1998.  That year his brother lived in El Paso and his grandmother lived in Mumford, TN just north of Memphos, TN.

17 hours ago, PhreakFakt0r said:

Patrick Bass was my roommate in 1998 in Houstln, TX.  I can verify he died that year in an automobile accident in Baton Rouge traveling from our appt in Houston to Memphis in 1998.  That year his brother lived in El Paso and his grandmother lived in Mumford, TN just north of Memphos, TN.

Thanks for the information.  I believe Dutchman2000 talked to Patrick's brother a while back and got all of his Atari documentation about RS Basketball.  It's always such a shock when people die so young.