IGNORED

Atari 2600 Power Switch Problem. Finicky Switch.

TooSlowGamer

My Atari 2600 is a woodgrain, 4 switch model. However, the power switch is now being finicky so that you have to have it put in a proper spot for it to turn on. This means in order to play, one hand has to hold the switch in the place (Yes, I've tried tape, it didn't work -_-). Anyone know a fix for this, that doesn't involve replacing the entire switch?

Well, the switch could very well be bad, and require replacement. Or, the solder connections could have just cracked. I have seen this more than once. Examine the back of the switch where it connects to the board, and look at the solder pads. If they're dull or cracked, reflow them with fresh solder.

The switches can get dirty sometimes, and cleaning is possible - using isopropyl alcohol, tuner cleaner, or similar solvents - but if it's worn out, then no amount of cleaning will work. Also, dirty switches tend to get better with use - not worse...

If the connections are good, then it's just a bad switch. Your only option is to replace it. An exact replacement should be easy enough to find - but if you want, you should be able to replace it with whatever switch you can find that fits, and you can still access with the covers on.

-Ian

Best Electronics has them:

Atari 2600 / 2600A On/Off, Color/BW Slide Switch CO10373 $2.50 each

Or, you can post a "wanted" here in the marketplace forum, and I'm sure someone has an extra for you.

I take it that the solder connections on the switch were good?

-Ian

Best Electronics has them:

Atari 2600 / 2600A On/Off, Color/BW Slide Switch CO10373 $2.50 each

Or, you can post a "wanted" here in the marketplace forum, and I'm sure someone has an extra for you.

I take it that the solder connections on the switch were good?

-Ian

Haven't checked just yet, I just like to know where they are just in case. It may actually because the 2600 is running off a 9v battery. I don't have the transformer box for the power, but I do have the end that plugs into the Atari. The thing was running perfectly until the 9v battery started running a little low. So before I open it up again, I'll try it with a real power supply.