IGNORED

Possible to use Wico y-cable and Paddle controllers?

SRGilbert

Any chance of adapting a paddle controller and using the Wico y cable?

short answer no

the pinouts are different unfortunatly and the lines to the plug are not present on the paddle plug

but if you make some type of go between adapter a 9 pin male to 9 pin female with the wires on the male to female connected thusly would work

7-7,5-8,9-6,3-5,4-4,8-3

Not with Wico y-cable, but with this adapter here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320373577604

You connect the Paddles to one DB9 connector and touchpad to the other DB9 connector. No soldering required. Just swap one wire within the Paddle(0) to make the directions go correctly (0..228 instead of 228..0).

You connect the Paddles to one DB9 connector and touchpad to the other DB9 connector. No soldering required. Just swap one wire within the Paddle(0) to make the directions go correctly (0..228 instead of 228..0).

and you need to unhook 1 resistor in the touchpad

and you need to unhook 1 resistor in the touchpad

Yeah otherwise some buttons won't work consistently (you have to press them a few times).

You can also use the touchpad with the Wico Y cable by first connecting the digital joystick adapter to the 15-pin connector of the Wico Y cable.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean Atari 2600 paddles?

Building an adapter to use 2600 paddle controllers on a 5200 is not difficult. But I've never seen that Y-cable, I'm afraid.

Building an adapter to use 2600 paddle controllers on a 5200 is not difficult. But I've never seen that Y-cable, I'm afraid.

Yeah, I mean the 2600 paddles. The Wico cable I'm referring to comes with the Wico 5200 joystick. It has a connector for the 5200 controller and a 9pin DB9 connector that the Wico stick plugs into.

Here's the internal of the Digital Joystick Adapter; touchpad is straightforward so the paddle portion is given here:

8	7	6	5	4	3	2   1
 15  14  13  12  11  10  9

1  =  Column #1 (keypad right column)
2  =  Column #2 (keypad middle column)
3  =  Column #3 (keypad left column)
4  =  Column #4 (GND for Start, Pause, Reset)
5  =  Row #3 (Reset)
6  =  Row #2 (Pause)
7  =  Row #1 (Start)
8  =  Row #4 (keypad *, 0, #)
9  =  POT GND
													blue jumper ------------------ DB9 pin 1 (forward)
10 = Paddle(0) (PotX) -------------------------------|<---------------- DB9 pin 9 (Paddle(0))

|______/\/\/\/\_________ DB9 pin 2 (back)
11 = Paddle(1) (PotY) -------------------------------|<---------------- DB9 pin 5 (Paddle(1))
														|______/\/\/\/\_________ DB9 pin 6 (trigger)
12 = +5V DC ------------------------------------------------------------ DB9 pin 7 (+5V DC)
13 = Bottom Buttons (Trigger) ------------------------------------- DB9 pin 3 (Ptrig(0))

14 = Top Buttons ------------------------------------------------------- DB9 pin 4 (Ptrig(1))
15 = Ground (GND) --------------------------------------------------- DB9 pin 8 (GND)

Note that it's a dual purpose interface-- it allows you to hook up paddles as well as use as a digital joystick via PC interface.

Yeah, I mean the 2600 paddles. The Wico cable I'm referring to comes with the Wico 5200 joystick. It has a connector for the 5200 controller and a 9pin DB9 connector that the Wico stick plugs into.

Having never seen it, I can only say this: The plug would have to put the 2600 paddle (potentiometer) on the circuit as the one the 5200 uses. Since the two potentiometers in a 5200 ARE "paddles," this is not hard to do, but again, I don't know if this is what the cable does. For a 2600, the joystick and paddles use different circuits.

There are two such mini-paddles in each 5200 controller, so it would be easy to have both 2600 paddles take the place of them both (vertical and horizontal). In theory, 8-player paddle games are possible on a 5200. But since no 5200 "paddle" game (like Super Breakout) uses anything but the horizontal one for each port, there'd be little point in hooking both up, except maybe to change gears in Pole Position.

Your best bet is to find out where, in a 2600 paddle plug, the wires for the paddles-circuits are, as well as the fire buttons (which correspond to directional controls on a 2600). Then, find out where in your cable they lead. If they lead to the fire buttons and the 5200 potentiometer circuits, then it should work- if not, then it likely won't. But you'll know why, and maybe can do something with it? Good luck! :woozy:

Edited by CV Gus

Having never seen it, I can only say this: The plug would have to put the 2600 paddle (potentiometer) on the circuit as the one the 5200 uses. Since the two potentiometers in a 5200 ARE "paddles," this is not hard to do, but again, I don't know if this is what the cable does. For a 2600, the joystick and paddles use different circuits.

There are two such mini-paddles in each 5200 controller, so it would be easy to have both 2600 paddles take the place of them both (vertical and horizontal). In theory, 8-player paddle games are possible on a 5200. But since no 5200 "paddle" game (like Super Breakout) uses anything but the horizontal one for each port, there'd be little point in hooking both up, except maybe to change gears in Pole Position.

Your best bet is to find out where, in a 2600 paddle plug, the wires for the paddles-circuits are, as well as the fire buttons (which correspond to directional controls on a 2600). Then, find out where in your cable they lead. If they lead to the fire buttons and the 5200 potentiometer circuits, then it should work- if not, then it likely won't. But you'll know why, and maybe can do something with it? Good luck! :woozy:

The Paddle works great for Super Breakout, Megamania, Kaboom and other requiring only one-axis analog motion. Pole position gear changes requires spinning the other paddle or removing it and putting a switch there for switching gears.