IGNORED

Just got my first 5200!

DamonicFury

Hi everyone,

Just got my first Atari 5200, well not really. My first was back in 1982/1983. Had a blast playing last night. My GF's kid was going nuts using the trackball and playing Centipede. Anyway I just love reading this forum too there's alot of useful info.

Take care all.

Cool! I've grown to love mine, and so have my kids. It's nearly as much fun as their PS (so they tell me). The controllers took a while to get used to, but the trakball just rules with centipede!

Good on ya! Just hope you get you're controler problem sorted out though. The 5200 controlers aint half bad from my perspective, just take a bit of getting used to!

Getting used to them is no issue at all.... It's just getting them to work properly is the problem.

I think i would have totally loved the 5200 had i got one back in the day..... nice upgrade from

the 2600, it is. Too bad the software didn't take off.... Would have been nice to see

some new 2nd generation software on it.

-rick

• 2 months later...

Hi all. I just got an Ebay 5200 in the mail today. The thing was remarkably well kept. I only have vague memories of some family friends having a 5200 way back when. I was expecting to encounter this horrible controller issue, but, so far, everything that I have tried on it has played remarkably well. It's a blast really!

• 3 months later...

I shall soon be joining the ranks of you new 5200 owners. I just bought a 2-port system off eBay for $40 shipped, with 15 games (each of which I didn't already have), four CX52 joysticks, a third-party joystick, and hookups. The seller said the system worked fine, but the joysticks didn't -- so he bought a couple more, and those didn't work either. (No big surprise there -- Best Electronics says that up to 90% of "virgin" 5200 controllers have failed on the shelf after so many years.) A joystick repair I could probably do -- but I certainly hope it's not in the motherboard.

Either way, this oughtta be a fun undertaking. icon_wink.gif

That reminds me i picked up about 5 broken controllers at a nava meeting at digital press last weekend that i need to repair.

The Best Electronics flex circuts and buttons are 2nd to none.. and i do recommend using them as opposed to the foil method.

What's the foil method? I usually just scratch the carbon dots and pcb with something to make the controllers work but it's temporary.

The best thing for it is to chuck it in the garbage now, as that's about all the good you get out of it. ;)

I just can't get around the 5200, for whatever reason I'm biased against it. The thing is huge, bulky, ugly, and has broken controllers to boot. As you already mentioned, everything that is on the system is already an 8bit game, and the 8bit systems manage to have games that feel more 'complete' than the 5200 does.

Shadow posted a really great blog a few days back that summed up my opinion entirely: The 5200 is just a dumbed-down 8bit computer, and I think Atari would have been better off just marketing the 8bits further and getting that product in everyone's home.

Then again I absolutely LOVE my 8bit computers and am really biased because I experienced the 5200 BEFORE the 8bit computers, so I see the 8bits as the huge improvement they really are. :D

That's just my opinion on it, though. There's tons of 'pro's for the 5200 to outweigh the 'con's in someone's mind, just not in mine. :D

The best thing for it is to chuck it in the garbage now, as that's about all the good you get out of it. ;)

I just can't get around the 5200, for whatever reason I'm biased against it. The thing is huge, bulky, ugly, and has broken controllers to boot. As you already mentioned, everything that is on the system is already an 8bit game, and the 8bit systems manage to have games that feel more 'complete' than the 5200 does.

Shadow posted a really great blog a few days back that summed up my opinion entirely: The 5200 is just a dumbed-down 8bit computer, and I think Atari would have been better off just marketing the 8bits further and getting that product in everyone's home.

Then again I absolutely LOVE my 8bit computers and am really biased because I experienced the 5200 BEFORE the 8bit computers, so I see the 8bits as the huge improvement they really are. :D

That's just my opinion on it, though. There's tons of 'pro's for the 5200 to outweigh the 'con's in someone's mind, just not in mine. :D

It is like an 8-bit computer good for playing games except for the controllers part. Like a 600XL or A400 w/o the PIA...

You and I have almost exactly the same experience, but I ended up liking both the 5200 and the A8! I, too, encountered the 5200 first. And I liked both, but back in the 80s, I had the 5200 for only six months or so, while I had one A8 or another for many years. As time went on, I continued to love the A8 and its tons of great games. I even had all the 5200 ports by Glenn. So I started to think of the 5200 as worthless and never bothered to pursue a collection.

Then I started getting interested in playing the games with an analog controller, and in playing others with two buttons available rather than just the one on the A8. So I picked up a 5200, a trak-ball, and some BEST controllers. And I have to say, I've come to really appreciate the games that take advantage of that unique controller. I love playing games like Star Raiders and Qix on it, for example. Sure, there's not much reason to play Pac-Man on it, but I have an A8 for that!

If you ever have a huge amount of space available and a ton of cash to burn, you might want to give it another try with good controllers and games that take advantage of them. If you haven't already done so, of course. :)

You and I have almost exactly the same experience, but I ended up liking both the 5200 and the A8! I, too, encountered the 5200 first. And I liked both, but back in the 80s, I had the 5200 for only six months or so, while I had one A8 or another for many years. As time went on, I continued to love the A8 and its tons of great games. I even had all the 5200 ports by Glenn. So I started to think of the 5200 as worthless and never bothered to pursue a collection.

Then I started getting interested in playing the games with an analog controller, and in playing others with two buttons available rather than just the one on the A8. So I picked up a 5200, a trak-ball, and some BEST controllers. And I have to say, I've come to really appreciate the games that take advantage of that unique controller. I love playing games like Star Raiders and Qix on it, for example. Sure, there's not much reason to play Pac-Man on it, but I have an A8 for that!

Yeah, trackball is a nice item to have for A5200 and that controller is better than the A8 trackball and the buttons don't wear out like A5200 joystick.

I'm glad to see all these new 5200 owners enjoying their systems and games! Have fun! A little patience to service these old analog controllers may be needed but it is well worth the effort.

I would recommend Koffi Kopter, Adventure II, and Castle Crisis. Excellent games.

PS-Is there no more Atari Age Store? I dont see a link on the main page..........

Nevermind, I just ready the post in the site forum. Its on Vacation.

When its back up you new 5200 owners should look to see if they still sell the Super Pacman cart.

Thats another you should get. :)

Edited by Chazbeenhad

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still working on reacquiring one. Got plenty of controller parts and cords, just waiting for good 2 port deck and power cord. My favs were Missile command, galaxian, super breakout, kaboom, space invaders, and dreadnaught factor.

That reminds me i picked up about 5 broken controllers at a nava meeting at digital press last weekend that i need to repair.

The Best Electronics flex circuts and buttons are 2nd to none.. and i do recommend using them as opposed to the foil method.

What's the foil method? I usually just scratch the carbon dots and pcb with something to make the controllers work but it's temporary.

The "foil method" involves using a paper punch to punch out a bunch of dots from a sheet of good quality aluminum foil. Then you take the 5200 controller apart and use either a small dot of super glue or a hot glue gun to attach a foil dot to the carbon contact on the back of each rubberized button. Presto, this works like magic for making all your rubber fire, start, pause, reset, and number pad buttons work like new again. I did this to my controllers, along with new flex circuits and pots from Best, and my controllers are awesome!

The "foil method" involves using a paper punch to punch out a bunch of dots from a sheet of good quality aluminum foil. Then you take the 5200 controller apart and use either a small dot of super glue or a hot glue gun to attach a foil dot to the carbon contact on the back of each rubberized button. Presto, this works like magic for making all your rubber fire, start, pause, reset, and number pad buttons work like new again. I did this to my controllers, along with new flex circuits and pots from Best, and my controllers are awesome!

Even easier would be: holepunch and foil tape