IGNORED

Atari Falcon on Ebay

Morpheus23

bridal dreams has big dreams....

made a fair offer, was insta-rejected.

14 megabytes RAM? Who would spend $750 on such a repulsive processing unit?

Shame Shame on ya. :P It is a beauty, but priced almost 4 times what it it worth, after SHipping. What a shame. One of our Atari Computer nerds, Would love it. ;)

:lol: Have you tried getting one in the UK? They go for upwards of £200.

So the American one is $750 which is equal to £471.31

& the English one is £200 which is equal to $318.26

So really, you should just order the British one.

What do you want it for anyway? If there's software inside it that can program Atari games then why not download the BIOS & buy a blank computer to use it on? You could have a lot more RAM.

I mean, that wanker is selling the keyboard separately, so it's not even a complete set. You're only supposed to display what you're selling but he did close ups on the keyboard. Probably so that you buy it & then re-read the description & realise that you have to give him more money just for the keyboard.

Edited by GOTHCLAWZ

What do you want it for anyway? If there's software inside it that can program Atari games then why not download the BIOS & buy a blank computer to use it on? You could have a lot more RAM.

I mean, that wanker is selling the keyboard separately, so it's not even a complete set. You're only supposed to display what you're selling but he did close ups on the keyboard. Probably so that you buy it & then re-read the description & realise that you have to give him more money just for the keyboard.

I believe he means the MIDI keyboard is not included, but even so, they are still on crack.

This is NOT a machine one purchases to do pragmatic computer work. You would buy it because you WANT an Atari Falcon, not because you NEED one.

Yeah, but can you program Atari games on it?

You can't hear Jimmy, I can Hear Jimmy. :D

Edited by hhwolfman

Erm... Nope! The international shipping will add at least £60-£100 to the final cost (at a rough guess) and then there is the difference in mains voltage to take into account. In reality the UK ones go for nearer £250 to £350. They always start out at a reasonable low price and sky rocket towards the end.

I believe he means the MIDI keyboard is not included, but even so, they are still on crack.

What's the difference?

What the blood clot? :ponder:

Erm... Nope! The international shipping will add at least £60-£100 to the final cost (at a rough guess) and then there is the difference in mains voltage to take into account. In reality the UK ones go for nearer £250 to £350. They always start out at a reasonable low price and sky rocket towards the end.

I think it should never reach that price, even if it was reaching the end of sale. But ask yourselves this; can you find another one of these for a cheaper offer?

Yeah, I think it's a midi keyboard being sold separately. This is not the first time I've seen Atari Falcons selling for 500, 600, 700 on Ebay. Again, 2 websites that sell used Atari gear sell just the console for 600. It absolutely boggles my mind. Go figure.

Just checking an old Atari ST/TT/Falcon catalog I happen to still have....

Atari Falcon, 1 MB RAM: $799

Falcon, 4MB RAM: $999

Falcon, 4MB RAM, 350MB internal Hard Drive: $1349, $1,499 (530MB HD), $1,899 (811MB HD)

14 MB Upgade: $599 (for Falcons already with 4MB)

Cubase Audio: $399 (When bought with a new Falcon) Seperately: $589

These ebay Falcons are a steal! :D

Falcon, 4MB RAM, 350MB internal Hard Drive: $1349, $1,499 (530MB HD), $1,899 (811MB HD)

No, they're not. Those prices are irrelevant today. They were selling you 14MB of RAM for $600 then because it was expensive. I haven't priced RAM lately, but you can get a 16GB SD card for $35 in 2009!

The computer is only good as a novelty/collector's item today.

Actually, the sellers are not fools; they are fishing for fools, and they may find one. However, the prices seem pretty crazy. I have seen "new-in-box" (claimed, anyway) for for half of that a couple years ago.

What the blood clot? :ponder:

Man, If you can't Just look at the Falcon and see the Beauty, then you Just don't get it. Just as Welsy Snipes told Woody Haroldson, in White Men Can't Jump. You can't hear Jimmy, I can Hear Jimmy. Like I said, this is only worth about $200 but even with out turning it on, It is a thing of beauty.

Edited by hhwolfman

No, they're not. Those prices are irrelevant today. They were selling you 14MB of RAM for $600 then because it was expensive. I haven't priced RAM lately, but you can get a 16GB SD card for $35 in 2009!

The computer is only good as a novelty/collector's item today.

Actually, the sellers are not fools; they are fishing for fools, and they may find one. However, the prices seem pretty crazy. I have seen "new-in-box" (claimed, anyway) for for half of that a couple years ago.

You just described all of Ebay. But the Falcon, like many Atari items are, as you say, collectables. Look at the price list for rare Jaguar hardware and software. Seen any Scatboxes lately? Look at what the Alpine board and developer Jag and CD unit go for. To most, it is worthless even though it sold for thousands. It's 600 to someone who wants to experience programming on the Jag with the real deal. And as the Jaguar and Falcon become more rare, the prices will be higher for the collector that wants one.

Edited by Morpheus23