IGNORED

TMS9928A VDP question

kelrodjr

I've searched but can't seem to find out the difference (if any) between the various part numbers of the TI TMS9928A VDP.

So far I've seen TMS9928A, TMS9928AN, TMS9928ANL, and TMS9928ANH. What's the difference between these? Are these interchangeable?

I've searched but can't seem to find out the difference (if any) between the various part numbers of the TI TMS9928A VDP.

So far I've seen TMS9928A, TMS9928AN, TMS9928ANL, and TMS9928ANH. What's the difference between these? Are these interchangeable?

It could be some are for NTSC , PAL and SECAM standards.

It could be some are for NTSC , PAL and SECAM standards.

No, I looked over the datasheet for the VDP family, the TMS9918A/TMS9928A output NTSC where the TMS9929A is PAL. I'm just not sure what the chip suffixes represent and I can't seem to find any mention of them in datasheets.

Chip suffixes normally determine things like package type (DIL/QFP etc.), operating speed, access times and operating temperature ranges (industrial/commercial). Without looking at datasheets I can't elaborate more.

OK, you are correct. After some tedious searching I figured it out. The "N" suffix indicates a plastic dual inline package, the "L" suffix indicates an operating temp. of 0 to 70 degrees C. So the chip I'm looking for is the TMS9928ANL. Thanks for the pointers.

If you're looking for the ColecoVision VDP it is a TMS9928ANL. They're pretty tough to find for sale anywhere though. There's been one or two guys trying to sell them on ebay for between $50 - $90 for about a year or two now. The 9918 variant is a lot easier to source, but doesn't work as a direct replacement though. I was lucky enough to get a large batch of the 9928s on ebay about 4 years ago.