IGNORED

I can't resist

Parrothead

Someone on my local CL posted a 4-switch Atari 2600 with 10 games for $60. Here's a quote: "This is an awesome collectors item, and $60 is a fair price for one in good condition and guaranteed to work."

Doesn't even list the games.

Not even worth posting the link.

love how he compares this to an Apple I. Yeah, that's fair. sheesh.

That was a great link, Mike:)

I was thinking the same thing... "An Apple 1 computer sold for $15,000 and that was 5 years ago. This stuff is worth money! "

that is like saying this car I have, Fred Sandford's junk yard truck is worth money, and I saw this other car, a Roll Royce, sell for XXX so this stuff is worth MONEY!!!

that is not to say that Atari is Junk and Apple is a Rolls, I'm just sayin' it is comparing apples to oranges... sheesh

too funny

there is a lesson in there somewhere

Apples and oranges are quite similar, they are both round, both fruits, both grow on trees, similar size...

Why isn't the expression "that's comparing apples and aircraft carriers"? :D

in my opinion, once you get beyond the size shape and color, they are VERY different. inside there is a huge difference and that was the point when it comes to comparing apple to atari. they look the same on the surface if you compare the old stuff, the apple ii to the atari 400 but when you run them and see what they do side by side, then you get into the nitty gritty [and the fodder for countless fanboy arguments!]

also the apple that sold for so much was, I believe, the first "Lisa" or something... a museum piece, and in no way should be compared to ANYTHING when it comes to calculating collector value

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

Yeah, I just think it's a worn-out cliche. And I thought I came up with the aircraft carrier version, but I just googled it and it's been said before.

Don't mind me!

agreed it is hackneyed but i used it because of "apple" ... it seemed to fit in an ironic way

don't mind me either :)

Shows how much he know's about the A8...claiming that it (the 1200) came out in 1979/80 (remembering that the 1200 had GTIA and that weren't released till back end of 1980/1981)

Noew if he'd said a 1400/1450xl the price would have been a tad on the high side but in that ballpark

He obviosuly DOESN'T know that the 1200's were fairly plentiful in the US (about 125k+ units made)

I am wondering how much he'd ask if it were a 5200 system (something like 5200 USD perhaps)

Edited by carmel_andrews

Kinda curious to know what disk drive "has an $800+ price tag on it"

There's a nice comparison here on most of the Atari disk drives that were available. That article is missing a few, but I don't think any originally cost $800+ like the seller states, I don't even think the 1200XL was $800+ when it came out. The original Atari 800 was, but by the time the XLs starting coming out prices were dropping. How much for an Atari 815 originally?