IGNORED

Stella 2.8 released

stephena

Still not working.

Man, this is getting frustrating.

My video card supports OpenGL 2.0, but I still can't figure out how to enable the TV settings.

They're still displayed in grey in the UI.

8)

I think I may have found an issue with the UI being disabled when using Windows (it doesn't seem to happen in Linux or OSX). I'll continue testing, and probably do a point release next week. I may post a Windows-only binary later this evening for you to test.

2) Keep the bleed and noise filters on 'low'; having both on 'high' causes even my development system to slow down (Quad core 3GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia 9600GT)

I suppose its the 9600 which is the bottleneck here.

Yes, very likely it's the video card, but then again, I tried running it at 1920x1200. When I lowered the res to Zoom2x, the effects worked on high. More optimization is definitely required.

Stephena, what games still don't emulate correctly in Stella? I ask this because in the past I've tried to fix bugs that weren't actually there *points finger at Jungle Hunt*. Also it'd be good if the list was laid out, as someone might have a game to add that has been missed.

I'm not aware of any such list, and it's probably not worth doing such a list until after 3.0 is released with the new TIA code. All the emulation errors I've seen are related to sprite positioning because of illegally timed HMOVEs. I can name quite a few of those, but I'd rather (mostly) fix the code first, and then see where we stand. There were errors in the past with the RIOT emulation causing misplacement of sprites, but those have been fixed.

Basically, lets wait until I get the TIA code fixed before we look at such a list. The reason being, I'm sure about 95% of the reported bugs will be ones I already know about, and will hopefully be squashed for 3.0.

I'm really looking forward to this release, but I have patience too. Thanks for the continued improvement of Stephena, and put that Krok cart to good use! :D

Jeff

Stephena, what games still don't emulate correctly in Stella? I ask this because in the past I've tried to fix bugs that weren't actually there *points finger at Jungle Hunt*. Also it'd be good if the list was laid out, as someone might have a game to add that has been missed.

I'm not aware of any such list, and it's probably not worth doing such a list until after 3.0 is released with the new TIA code. All the emulation errors I've seen are related to sprite positioning because of illegally timed HMOVEs. I can name quite a few of those, but I'd rather (mostly) fix the code first, and then see where we stand. There were errors in the past with the RIOT emulation causing misplacement of sprites, but those have been fixed.

Basically, lets wait until I get the TIA code fixed before we look at such a list. The reason being, I'm sure about 95% of the reported bugs will be ones I already know about, and will hopefully be squashed for 3.0.

I'm really looking forward to this release, but I have patience too. Thanks for the continued improvement of Stephena, and put that Krok cart to good use! :D

The KrokCart has already proven very useful in fixing at one least test ROM that doesn't work on any other emulator (but now works correctly with the new TIA code). Having the cart also brings other benefits, like the cross-platform KromCom application I'm working on. This app basically works the same as the Windows KrokCom software. I've already completed most of it, with the exception of multi-cart support and incremental loading, which I'm still working on. Perhaps a release for Linux and OSX will be ready in a few weeks.

As promised, here's a test binary for Windows only, hopefully with a fix for the TV effects being disabled even if you have an OpenGL 2.0+ card. Please test and let me know if this fixes the issue. If so, I'll do a point release early next week. Also, don't spread this link past this thread, as it's on my personal server at home.

WRT the comments on the location of user data, yes, I'll probably be moving it to a hidden location in the 3.0 release.

May I suggest, whichever the hidden location is, to add to the windows exe installer a shortcut to said location so even a newbie can open that folder and drag and drop any files? I think most users will not notice/mind the change then.

WRT the comments on the location of user data, yes, I'll probably be moving it to a hidden location in the 3.0 release.

May I suggest, whichever the hidden location is, to add to the windows exe installer a shortcut to said location so even a newbie can open that folder and drag and drop any files? I think most users will not notice/mind the change then.

I'll definitely consider this. Hopefully the installer will allow a link to a hidden folder; I'll have to look into it.

Currently unsupported are the AR, DPC and 4A50 bankswitching schemes. Perhaps in the next release ...

I'd very much like to see this.

The main reason I didn't do these (other than lack of time) is that I couldn't figure out what address space represented RAM, and what represented ROM. Particularly hard is the 4A50 one, which has RAM spread all over the place. Anyone know where I can find more detailed information about the AR (Supercharger) and DPC (Pitfall2) schemes??

Hmmm, the TV Effects are greyed out, and I think my graphics card should support OpenGL 2 if what Thomas said earlier, "everything starting from the Radeon 9500 supports OpenGL 2.0", is correct. Mine is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, which I believe is the stock card that comes with a PowerBook G4.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer's website offers nothing whatsoever for OS X 10.4.x and this card, so I'm not sure how to proceed...? OpenGL rendering is working, just not the TV effects...

(PowerBook G4, OS X 10.4.11, 2GB RAM; I'm also driving an external monitor at 1680 x 1050 in "clamshell mode" using a DVI-to-VGA adapter, if that's significant)

Edited by thegoldenband

Hmmm, the TV Effects are greyed out, and I think my graphics card should support OpenGL 2 if what Thomas said earlier, "everything starting from the Radeon 9500 supports OpenGL 2.0", is correct. Mine is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, which I believe is the stock card that comes with a PowerBook G4.

According to Wikipedia the Mobility Radeon 9700 is based on the RV360 chipset, which is used in the Radon 9600 and 9800, which both support OpenGL 2.0

Check here: http://ati.amd.com/developer/demos/macss2/index.html

SmartShader™ 2.0 Demos, Supported Graphics Products*:

Radeon® X800 XT Mac Edition 256MB (Retail Box, G5 only)

Radeon® 9700/9800 PRO/XT (All versions)

Mobility™ Radeon® 9700 64/128MB* (PowerBook G4 15" and 17")

Radeon® 9600 XT 128MB ( Power Mac G5 Standard/BTO)

SmartShader 2.0 Demos

Racing Car Paint

This demo showcases the power of the Radeon® 9800 PRO and OpenGL 2.0 to implement some surface effects not possible on previous generations of hardware.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

OK, here is another Windows-only test binary that shows the OpenGL version in the TV Effects area, so you can see what version you have and if it agrees with what Stella is doing if/when it disables the UI.

Anyway, I'm taking the weekend off. Please add reports here, and I'll get to them on Monday.

The main reason I didn't do these (other than lack of time) is that I couldn't figure out what address space represented RAM, and what represented ROM. Particularly hard is the 4A50 one, which has RAM spread all over the place. Anyone know where I can find more detailed information about the AR (Supercharger) and DPC (Pitfall2) schemes??

In the Supercharger scheme, everything is RAM all of the time, 3 2K chunks. Two active at once and one 2K in reserve. The banking just determines which two are active and in which order. The only time ROM is used is when loading/multiloading which is faked on the emulators. But Supercharger RAM doesn't use read/write ports the way Superchip does. It uses that funky CMP/NOP structure on the last page of ROM to indirectly write to RAM. But for the purpose of the debugger there should be some way to scroll through and alter all 6K of RAM, not just the active 4K.

Currently unsupported are the AR, DPC and 4A50 bankswitching schemes. Perhaps in the next release ...

I'd very much like to see this.

With Supercharger, it's RAM if the the write-enable bit is set, otherwise ROM. It appears that Stella uses 32 banks in Supercharger for 128k total space (which I assume is one "bank" for every possible banking byte, and perhaps the 6k+2k BIOS is copied 32 times and in different combinations?) So anyway, with that scheme, some areas of the virtual 128k space would be RAM and some ROM.

As for Pitfall II, it doesn't have any RAM. It does have 128 DPC registers from $1000-$107F, half of which are read-only and the other half write-only, and these could act like RAM for purposes of debugging, however.

I have a ATI 2xHD4850 in crossfire mode. By default the newer catalyst drivers DO NOT install the OpenGL drivers. To install the OpenGL driver you need to copyy a dll file to your system32 directory on 32 bit Windows or the SysWOW directory on 64 bit windows. The name of the file is atioglxx.dll. I ran into this problem when I went to play The new Chronicles of Riddick game. I have ran the latest stella and the CRT emulation works great. The dll is in one of the sub directories where the ATI driver is extracted to when you install it. the fille will be named atioglxx.dl. You will have to expand it from the command line by typing the command "makecab.exe atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll. Hopes this helps the ATI users.

I have a ATI 2xHD4850 in crossfire mode. By default the newer catalyst drivers DO NOT install the OpenGL drivers.

Uh, that's incorrect - the latest Catalyst drivers (currently 9.5 - 9.6 are out this month) install OpenGL support just fine - my Radeon HD 4870X2 is showing up OpenGL 2.1 without having to add any .dlls as you can see in CCC below. Note that the OpenGL version shown here doesn't relate to what Stella reports (2.1) - I guess it's ATI/AMD's own internal versioning..?

*Edit* Just double checked and atioglxx.dll is where it should be in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (Windows 7 x64) so the Catalyst installer for 9.5 definitely installs it correctly...

post-13323-1244973499_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aegis

You will have to expand it from the command line by typing the command "makecab.exe atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll. Hopes this helps the ATI users.

Oops the command I stated was wrong. It is "expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll". I am sorry if I confused anyone.

Edited by edweird13

vSync is NOT working !!!

in barnstorming the tearing effect is very noticable...

I.G

If you're using Vista, then OpenGL vsync doesn't seem to work. It's a Vista thing, which basically broke a lot of OpenGL functionality. If you're using an older version of Windows or something else (Linux or OSX), then vsync should be working. What hardware/OS do you have?

vSync is NOT working !!!

in barnstorming the tearing effect is very noticable...

I.G

If you're using Vista, then OpenGL vsync doesn't seem to work. It's a Vista thing, which basically broke a lot of OpenGL functionality. If you're using an older version of Windows or something else (Linux or OSX), then vsync should be working. What hardware/OS do you have?

Windows XP Pro. with nVidia 8500GT, intel Q6600

I also tried to make changes to vSync through the control panel but it didn't work...

I.G

I have a ATI 2xHD4850 in crossfire mode. By default the newer catalyst drivers DO NOT install the OpenGL drivers.

Uh, that's incorrect - the latest Catalyst drivers (currently 9.5 - 9.6 are out this month) install OpenGL support just fine - my Radeon HD 4870X2 is showing up OpenGL 2.1 without having to add any .dlls as you can see in CCC below. Note that the OpenGL version shown here doesn't relate to what Stella reports (2.1) - I guess it's ATI/AMD's own internal versioning..?

*Edit* Just double checked and atioglxx.dll is where it should be in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (Windows 7 x64) so the Catalyst installer for 9.5 definitely installs it correctly...

post-13323-1244973499_thumb.jpg

When I installed the the 9.5 catalyst drivers in windows 7 64bit it didn't install that file. I had to copy it manually. Maybe the 9.5 version of the drivers I installed didn't install that file. ATi may have changed it for the newer drivers for suppoet for the Riddick game?