IGNORED

My new PS3

kroogur

Thanks to the kindness of a relative I have a PS3 to replace my 360.

My initial thoughts are it's about on par with the 360, I actually like the interface a bit better than the XBox's and so far the only game I have is Oblivion GOTY edition and the graphics seem to be a bit more sharp and the colors a little more vibrant.

The only grievance I do have is the 1 year warranty I may be gun shy due to my recent experience with the 360 but it still would be nice if Sony offered an extended warranty.

And the other thing I noticed was a eerie similarity to another system currently in my stable:

psf003.jpg

psf001.jpg

psf002.jpg

:D

And the other thing I noticed was a eerie similarity to another system currently in my stable:

:lol:

I can't believe you like the interface better. Although, I guess since NXE was released they are pretty similar.

You'll have plenty of great exclusives to track down now that you have a PS3.

Oh and then there's Haze.

I can't believe you like the interface better. Although, I guess since NXE was released they are pretty similar.

I think the reason I like it is because the focus is along the middle of the screen and you simply scroll left/right and up down with simple icons. On the 360 they have that kinda 3D fade back at an angle interface and the up/down selections are at the top left thats kinda hard on my old, welding flashed,chemical splashed and spark burned eyes :D

Will do! :thumbsup:

It's been awhile since I used a Sony controller the Dualshock 3 is nice and I like that it can be recharged but it seems too small for my hands, I liked the heft and feel of the 360 controller. Any recommendations for aftermarket controllers?

Edited by kroogur

Will do! :thumbsup:

It's been awhile since I used a Sony controller the Dualshock 3 is nice and I like that it can be recharged but it seems too small for my hands, I liked the heft and feel of the 360 controller. Any recommendations for aftermarket controllers?

No I use the standard ones but I know what you mean. The PS3 controller is well made, but it's almost too light or something. It feels like it should crack in half...but it's probably just because of what you stated, you're just used the Xbox. You could knock someone out with a 360 controller if you threw it at them. The Ps3 controller seemed very odd to me at first as well. I like it now though.

Checking amazon, many 3rd party controller have crap ratings, this one looks beefy, but has a crap rating:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Zero-Wir...430&sr=8-22

This next one has decent rating but doesnt look much beefier than the standard, altho one review states this:

This works well. I like it better than the original PS3 controller because it's a bit bigger. Easier to hold onto.

Now if only you dont go blind using it!!

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Wired-Co...430&sr=8-32

Keep in mind it's wired. The wireless version of the same controller have crap reviews.

Edited by moycon

Don't worry too much about reliability. PS3's are very well made, you'll almost certainly be fine. Just keep the side with the air vents unblocked, but that goes for anything with a fan.

Unfortunately this is not necessarily the case... PS3 is more reliable than the Xbox360, but it does seem to be failing more and more lately. Forums are flooded with people getting the "yellow light of death", which seems to be attributed to heat issues, as well as bluray drives failing prematurely.

At this point there's nothing you can do, so enjoy the new toy, it won't do any good to worry about problems that could arise anyway. :-)

Unfortunately this is not necessarily the case... PS3 is more reliable than the Xbox360, but it does seem to be failing more and more lately. Forums are flooded with people getting the "yellow light of death", which seems to be attributed to heat issues, as well as bluray drives failing prematurely.

A person that worked at the UPS hub near my house said he saw at least one PS3 "coffin" a day. He also said he saw around five 350 "coffins" a day. That was awhile ago (before the Jasper launch) but jeeze. Remember the days when you bought a game console and it would still be around 30 years later!! LOL

300px-Atari2600a.JPG

Edited by moycon