IGNORED

Adventure II and other protos on ebay!

I can't believe that someone actually paid that much for a pirated copy of Kaboom! that some Atari programmer stuck in a loaner case. :?

You can´t know this! Maybe this cart/loaner is one of remaining evidences for our Atari involved pirate theory!!

I have a more probable theory - Atari wanted to know what the "competition" was up to. I bet tahts a standard Activision PCB in the cart, which was loaned out to programmers at Atari to show them the standard of games at Activision. ;)

I don't think that an Activision PCB would fit in an Atari case too gracefully. It could be a pirate copy made by Atari to know what the competition was up to though.

You're probably right. I dont think there was any collusion between Atari and Activision

Rubics is a little high, but the moni golf is quite a "unique" item so i'm not suprise it sold for a bit

I disagree, there are more Frog Pond protos out there than Rubik's 3D. ;)

Yes, but one's released ond the others not. I personally would pay more for an unreleased game than a released game even if its a little less rare.

Neither Frog Pond or Rubik's cube 3D were released ;)

:cool:

Did you win one of them? If so, congrats! :party:

Rubics is a little high, but the moni golf is quite a "unique" item so i'm not suprise it sold for a bit

Yes, but one's released ond the others not. I personally would pay more for an unreleased game than a released game even if its a little less rare.

No! I made a second place on this Kaboom.................. :D

I can't believe that someone actually paid that much for a pirated copy of Kaboom! that some Atari programmer stuck in a loaner case. :?

You can´t know this! Maybe this cart/loaner is one of remaining evidences for our Atari involved pirate theory!!

would be nice .... but i have my doubts .... demon attack being from rob fullop and kaboom being from larry kaplan and david crane (all of them former atari programmers that founded new compnies, taking away a big piece of the pie from atari ), i think that those were simply copies for internal testing/comparison purposes and were put into loaners carts so that original copies wouldn't float around the lab. i'm sure the atari management wouldn't have been happy to see imagic or activision games laying around on their employes table/desk ....

also remember that atari claimed that demon attack is a copy of phoenix and tried to sue them ... maybe this loaner was the internal "piece of evidence" :P

whatever the use of this cart was, i'm also pretty sure this cart was a "pirated copy of Kaboom! that some Atari programmer stuck in a loaner case".

it's also the first loaner that i saw with another label still on the cart. in combination with the auction for the other empty cart, it makes me wonder if it's not just a normal cart, with an activision chip inside, and a loaner sticker put on top .... would be nice to see if that one has an eprom inside or if it is just a normal activision pcb

Awww, too bad. I made 3rd place on Kaboom! BTW :D

you guys are crazy .... save your money for the real rare stuff

Bah! This sounds unspectacular! I bet a 6 pack of VB that I am right..........lol

better loosing a few dollars on a six pack than 500$ on an activision pcb :D

Edited by jahfish

Awww, too bad. I made 3rd place on Kaboom! BTW :D

HAHA! Bronze isn´t that bad, Wickey! :D :D

I got the ones I wanted... Adventure II, Kaboom, Star Raiders and Defender. I already have the other ones.

I did put in a bid on the Mini Golf check out card auction. However, I really did not heavily pursue it like the other ones (I really just wanted the protos).

The prices were pretty consistent to released and unreleased protos.

I am happy....I also got Pipster's protos so six protos in a week is not bad; I know, I know, some of you are saying, Pipster's protos are PAL. I got those because of the uniqueness of the labels and I do not have a Yar's Revenge proto (believe it or not). I do have a NTSC Submarine Commander proto but it is just the board with the eproms....it is always nice to get the cart shell as well.

Need the seventh one in a week to average a proto a day..... :cool:

Edited by Wonder007

I almost won the ADV I cart. I won the Moon Patrol lab loaner. I placed bids on Frog's Pond and Adventure II and the Mini golf rental. The Miniture golf game looked quite interesting. Would be very nice in a game collection

The ADV I cart might not have the clues programmed into it yet and some challenges might be taken out. I'm just completely guessing.

Yeah, I almost retract my comment about unsustainable.

I do think that well over $100 is a lot to pay for released regular games. But $400 seems about right for unreleased games. Problem being that some have many more copies floating around than others.

Maybe I've gotten too many 'deals' over the years and $400 is seeming like too much to pay, even though I've paid it several times for unreleased lab loaners.

Then again I've paid that much and less for only known copies of undumped, unreleased stuff for other systems. So I must be getting jaded. Oh, wait, that's a foregone conclusion.

As far as Kaboom, is it possible that this cartridge is evidence the Crane was working on that game while he was still at Atari?

This is not the first weird loaner from another company we have seen. There is a Pron game and Rabbit Transit out there at least.

I got the ones I wanted... Adventure II, Kaboom, Star Raiders and Defender. I already have the other ones.

I did put in a bid on the Mini Golf check out card auction. However, I really did not heavily pursue it like the other ones (I really just wanted the protos).

The prices were pretty consistent to released and unreleased protos.

I am happy....I also got Pipster's protos so six protos in a week is not bad; I know, I know, some of you are saying, Pipster's protos are PAL. I got those because of the uniqueness of the labels and I do not have a Yar's Revenge proto (believe it or not). I do have a NTSC Submarine Commander proto but it is just the board with the eproms....it is always nice to get the cart shell as well.

Need the seventh one in a week to average a proto a day..... :cool:

+ the sealed Waterworld! :ponder:

As far as Kaboom, is it possible that this cartridge is evidence the Crane was working on that game while he was still at Atari?

I was thinking this too, but I am not sure if Atari used the loaner cartridge label back when Kaboom! was programmed. It would probably have a label like this, or no case at all.

The game also wouldn't have an Activision logo in it.

Lol, good point. The Activision logo is right there on the screen in that eBay auction. It's just a bootleg.

While it is most likely a bootleg copy, do you guys think it is possible Crane and a few other early Activision employees discussed their logo and such before they left Atari?

Lol, good point. The Activision logo is right there on the screen in that eBay auction. It's just a bootleg.

While it is most likely a bootleg copy, do you guys think it is possible Crane and a few other early Activision employees discussed their logo and such before they left Atari?

Doubtful, to say the least.

I've seen several 3rd party games in Atari cases. Each time they've been exactly the same as the final. My best guess is that they were just personal copies for the developers. They had the equipment to copy games, why not use it?

I've seen Demon Attack, Freeway, and now Kaboom in Atari cases.

Tempest

i think i had been biding 20$ on it .... hey CPU , how do you translate "dabei sein ist alles!" ? :D

Bist halt ein schlaues Kerlchen................

the right translation is actually: "The most important thing is not to win but to take part!" (by Pierre de Coubertin, used for the olympics)