IGNORED

Poll - 7800 Role Playing Game (RPG)

GroovyBee

84 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a 7800 RPG?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are you interested in helping to develop a 7800 RPG?

• Yes, I can help with coding
    • Yes, I can help with graphics
    • Yes, I can help with sound effects or music
    • Yes, I can help with level design
    • Yes, I can help with plot, background story, characters etc.
    • No, I can only give moral support

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

In the chat room over at CTCW last night we talked about the desire for a 7800 Role Playing Game (RPG). I have a couple of other game ideas that I want to do first and then I could make a start on this. RPGs are normally large affairs (this isn't going be a magnum opus project believe me - life is too short for that BS) I'm just interested to find out if anybody else would like to contribute to the project. Thoughts, comments and suggestions please.

It would be really a cool thing, I´d finally get a 7800 then. Sadly if I´m realistic I am too busy with Pier Solar and whatever comes after that to help with graphics in this project...I wish you the best of luck though.

One tip I have to give: It should be japanese style. That visual style came up for a reason, because it is the best for low-resolution, low color graphics. Aiming for a realistic style just results in uglyness on 8bit-systems; the oversized heads allow simple facial expressions, adding a lot of personality to characters.

That does not so much go for hack´n slays though; characters are very unimportant there.

Edited by 108 Stars

I said no, but then had to choose another option so I indicated "No. I would give moral support." I wanted to say "No, and I am morally opposed." The 7800 is an arcade machine. RPGs are not arcade games. RPGs are terrible. Please invest that kind of time into a platformer or two or three arcade titles.

While I always like arcade games since the 1980's, Atari 7800 is capable of more than arcade games first place.

Midnight Mutants is not an arcade style game and it proved that the Atari 7800 is capable of doing games that are not "arcade style games".

Having a RPG on the system would be great depending on the how many people are willing to buy a homebrew rpg for the system.

Edited by 8th lutz

While I always like arcade games since the 1980's, Atari 7800 is capable of more than arcade games first place.

Midnight Mutants is not an arcade style game and it proved that the Atari 7800 is capable of doing games that are not "arcade style games".

Having a RPG on the system would be great depending on the how many people are willing to buy a homebrew rpg for the system.

Oh, I'd buy it. I wouldn't play it, want it, or like it, but if it's for the 7800 I'd buy it. :)

If you want lots of game characters on screen at the same time you need to use 24 colour mode (two Bits Per Pixel (BPP)). Each sprite can then be assigned one of eight palettes. Each palette can contain three colours and all sprites will have a common background colour.

I've been really more of a lurker here than a full-on member, but I would love to help out any way that I can in the following areas:

graphics, level design as well as plot, background story, characters etc.

and since I've never properly introduced myself to the forum, I'm j.m. RATKOS and I used to do freelance and have authored about 20 or so videogame strategy guides, starting with chaos strikes back and dungeon master 2 for ftl games and interplay (respectively) before moving forward about 10 years and authoring and tiling for prima during the playstation, game boy color/advance and nintendo 64 days.

feel free to let me know what I can do to help out. :)

feel free to let me know what I can do to help out. :)

Welcome to AA and welcome aboard. As I stated in the opening thread I have some other projects to do before I'm free to start on this. I think the design needs to be done and agreed upfront then everybody participating knows what to expect. If anybody else wants to take the lead feel free...