IGNORED

7800 was a good console.

mcjakeqcool

Granted the 7800 was less powerful then the NES and SMS, but It could have done a choppy poor quality port of games on either system.

It wasn't less powerful at all :roll:

Each machine has its advantages and I am sure there are many games on the NES and SMS the 7800 could have done better (especially with a pokey) and certainly not choppy or poor at all. :P

Excellent Machine. I have owned one for over 10 years and now just truly appreciate what it can do. The system is amazing. Me and my buddy Lord Thag had a blast this last weekend playing Co op Robotron(one person moves, the other guns). Centipede and Asteroids are top notch too. The system had such poor coverage in the past, as well as poor marketing. It truly could have been so much better...but is now showing how awsome it IS. The homebrew scene is really taking off and I am really excited about what can be done on this system in the future.

After seeing Pac Man Jr on the console....anything is possible!

Granted the 7800 was less powerful then the NES and SMS,

The 7800 has a 6502 processor running at 1.79 mhz. The NES has a 6502 running at 1.79 mhz.

The computational capabilities of one isn't really different than the other.

What those systems do have is advantages in their sound hardware and advantages in their graphics hardware. They also have disadvantages in their graphics hardware. At the end of the day, they're all 8-bit systems.

</rant off>

I hate "black or white" generic "more powerful than" statements. :-)

Granted the 7800 was less powerful then the NES and SMS,

The 7800 has a 6502 processor running at 1.79 mhz. The NES has a 6502 running at 1.79 mhz.

The computational capabilities of one isn't really different than the other.

What those systems do have is advantages in their sound hardware and advantages in their graphics hardware. They also have disadvantages in their graphics hardware. At the end of the day, they're all 8-bit systems.

</rant off>

I hate "black or white" generic "more powerful than" statements. :-)

It always boils down to the games in general. How well do the programmers take advantage of what they got. Sega Genesis was technically inferior to the SNES, but the games usually looked just as good, sometimes more so.

Edited by etschuetz

• 3 weeks later...

When I first played an Atari 7800 ( Winter of '87 I beleive) I knew it was a Gem..It did'nt take years for me to apreciate it like some folks. my best friend at the time lived maybe a mile from where I lived and I would walk there every day after school just to play Choplifter and Karateka..I myself had an NES but even as a kid I knew there was something special about the 7800..I still feel the same way if not even more because I have tons of games for it and more understanding of the console.