IGNORED

Any BIT3 Video card users/experts here?

I have two Bit3 video cards, one works perfectly, the other has an issue which you will see in the photos I am attaching.

It appears like a bit is set high or something because there is a solid vertical line at each character.

I have tried reseating all the chips and cleaning up the edge connector so far no dice.

Any ideas.

post-10803-1246823975_thumb.jpg

post-10803-1246823997_thumb.jpg

post-10803-1246824020_thumb.jpg

post-10803-1246824039_thumb.jpg

I will check.

Just to clarify the pics you are looking at are from two different BIT3 cards, one that does not have the problem and one that does.

I will swap the Char ROM chips first and see if that helps.

The data being input is on the same atari 800 from BASIC cart so its not what is being sent to the card or the computer as they are consistent unless you are implying that the two cards interact with the same Atari 800 differently?

nope

i belive this cart has its own memory like xep80 do - this is pure function of 6845 or similiar controller not accesing its fonts definitions properly - i don't think rom may gone bad, it could just oxidise

try cleaning the socket with some isoprophyl acohol, or better - with kontakt 60 (www.crcind.com)

you may also clean pins of the ic with plain paper (use the chip as "pencil")

Joe!

WRONG IC!

this is the controller, not character ROM

it doesn't have data bus, just address buss to address character rom, and few simple control lines to controll all its operation (stroke, blink, underline, reverse video, three graphics modes)

could You post some high-quality pictures of internals of the cart? i could point You the one to suspect then

Candle are you reading the thread?

I never said it was the Char Rom, I said it was the controller. (CRT8021)

The problem has been identified as this chip which I know is a controller not a ROM/Eprom

The reason I know is I took a CRT8021 off of a working BIT3 card and swapped it with the one on the problem card and it works fine.

I'm thinking here, old terminals maybe.

Probably not IBM 3270 types. Maybe VT52, 100s? Or something from HP, Wang, Prime or Unisys.

Problem is, a lot of that stuff just got scrapped around the late 1980s when PC-based terminal emulation became popular. It might be the case that such terminals themselves, although practically useless, are regarded as collectors items.

I'm thinking here, old terminals maybe.

Probably not IBM 3270 types. Maybe VT52, 100s? Or something from HP, Wang, Prime or Unisys.

Problem is, a lot of that stuff just got scrapped around the late 1980s when PC-based terminal emulation became popular. It might be the case that such terminals themselves, although practically useless, are regarded as collectors items.

If you google the chip then some of the equipment that used it will probably come up in the search.

Joe, despite Your belive in bad controller - could You analyse its case a little futher?

especially the way character rom is addressed and video signal formed

Can you give me something further to try? I am at a loss

I swapped the Char roms the problem persisted

I swapped out the controller the problem went away

I don't have a scope nor schematics so aside from swapping chips what do you suggest?

Hello peteym5

It's a "right cartridge". With a convertor PCB it might work in an XL or XE too. It was made (or at least developed and sold) by an American company. It displays up to 80 characters per line.

greetings

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Hello peteym5

It's a "right cartridge". With a convertor PCB it might work in an XL or XE too. It was made (or at least developed and sold) by an American company. It displays up to 80 characters per line.

greetings

Mathy

I have one, it's in memory card form (800).

Neat product though. If someone wanted to redo it as a PBI or in the case hack it would be cool.

Hello peteym5

greetings

Mathy

no its a card that goes in the last slot of an 800. Replaces the last memory card.

Maybe something simple like do continuity tests with a multimeter from the Dn lines on the ROM to their destinations on the controller or wherever they go to.

Don't understand the logic of that test, remember that putting another chip in its place corrects the problem.

If anyone has a contact or source for an SMC

CRT8021 Video controller chip (28 pin DIP)

Please let me know. Obsolete chip dealers wont talk to me unless I want to buy 100 or more of them.

Or if you know for certain any piece of hardware that may utilize one on their board.