IGNORED

School Girl is at it again.

hhwolfman

But at least a car will give you 5 years of motoring service. An air raid cart is just a very expensive paper weight ;) And there is no guarantee it will be worth anything in 5 years. if a case of even 50 CIB copies were found, a loose one would be worth $50, precisely how much you would get for your car

You know it has been 4 years since any major find has happened with video games. As time goes on the odds of a warehouse find with any of the super rare games grows less, and less likely. Yes, a used car is seviceable, but are there any bragging rights with a used car? If you already have a used car an extra used car becomes kind of useless. There is something about having an extremely rare item in your possesion. Fact is that anyone can go and get a used car for $5,000. If this guy sells this game for 5K(highly unlikely, but still possible) when will the next one go up for sell? Most likely it's going to be a year or two before it shows up again. How much is your time worth to you. Yes, you could go another 2 years without the game, and then have a chance at winning it, provided that no one else wants it. But if someone has more resources than you and really wants it you are going to be out of luck. Fact is that most collectors will never own any of the big rares like Video Life, Magic Card, Pepsi Invaders, Ultravision Karate, Gauntlet. Just think about it for a second.

Say there are 500 serious collectors for the Atari 2600. From all accounts I really believe there are at least 500 serious collectors. Each and everyone of these people would love to own one of the super rares, but the fact is that only around 20 of each and less are of these games. My guess is that 500 collectors out there would love to have an Air Raid. But only 10 exist at the moment. Do the math for a second. Even if one Air Raid pops up for sell every year for the next 50 years, then there are still 450 collectors without an Air Raid. Odds are that a vast majority of the collectors out there just will never have a super rare game. Think about that for a second, a person could go his or her entire life without getting the video game they really want. Yes, I know that a big find could happen, but the odds are remote as time passes. So if you really think about it, if you wanted an Air Raid, and you had a choice of either ponying up a huge amount of money or going the rest of your life without one, which choice are you going to take. Speaking of finds, it begs the question, that maybe the reason rare games are lower is because of Motorodeo, and Ikari Warriors being found. People are gun shy on buying a rare game because of the risk. But as time goes on, I have a feeling that people will be less shy if no more warehouse finds come to light.

But at least a car will give you 5 years of motoring service. An air raid cart is just a very expensive paper weight ;) And there is no guarantee it will be worth anything in 5 years. if a case of even 50 CIB copies were found, a loose one would be worth $50, precisely how much you would get for your car

You know it has been 4 years since any major find has happened with video games. As time goes on the odds of a warehouse find with any of the super rare games grows less, and less likely. Yes, a used car is seviceable, but are there any bragging rights with a used car? If you already have a used car an extra used car becomes kind of useless. There is something about having an extremely rare item in your possesion. Fact is that anyone can go and get a used car for $5,000. If this guy sells this game for 5K(highly unlikely, but still possible) when will the next one go up for sell? Most likely it's going to be a year or two before it shows up again. How much is your time worth to you. Yes, you could go another 2 years without the game, and then have a chance at winning it, provided that no one else wants it. But if someone has more resources than you and really wants it you are going to be out of luck. Fact is that most collectors will never own any of the big rares like Video Life, Magic Card, Pepsi Invaders, Ultravision Karate, Gauntlet. Just think about it for a second.

Say there are 500 serious collectors for the Atari 2600. From all accounts I really believe there are at least 500 serious collectors. Each and everyone of these people would love to own one of the super rares, but the fact is that only around 20 of each and less are of these games. My guess is that 500 collectors out there would love to have an Air Raid. But only 10 exist at the moment. Do the math for a second. Even if one Air Raid pops up for sell every year for the next 50 years, then there are still 450 collectors without an Air Raid. Odds are that a vast majority of the collectors out there just will never have a super rare game. Think about that for a second, a person could go his or her entire life without getting the video game they really want. Yes, I know that a big find could happen, but the odds are remote as time passes. So if you really think about it, if you wanted an Air Raid, and you had a choice of either ponying up a huge amount of money or going the rest of your life without one, which choice are you going to take. Speaking of finds, it begs the question, that maybe the reason rare games are lower is because of Motorodeo, and Ikari Warriors being found. People are gun shy on buying a rare game because of the risk. But as time goes on, I have a feeling that people will be less shy if no more warehouse finds come to light.

The Air Raid price is down (down from 5k still high by most standards) not because supply is up. It is down because demand is down. It just isn't considered as desirable as say Video Life as many doubt the orgin of this cart.

Some don't care and some think it is a US cart but not as many as there used to be.

So as much as I know you want to will these things into 5 the figure collectable framework I just think this is a bad example.

Still you never know what people will want or what they will pay. I think we will see a day when loose copies of this title sell for less than a thousand every time they do come up for sale but who can really know for sure?

Say there are 500 serious collectors for the Atari 2600.

It comes down to how many "big time" collectors would pay more than $1k for a loose cart. I can't think of 20 that don't already have this cart. ;) The fact is taht the number of people willing to pay more than $1k is coming down. Crunchysuperman is the collector i had in mind when i said i could only think of one collector willing to pay $1.5k for this. There may be 2 or 3 more that are willing to pay over $1k. After these collectors obtain a copy, the price will drop below $1k

It comes down to how many "big time" collectors would pay more than $1k for a loose cart. I can't think of 20 that don't already have this cart. ;) The fact is taht the number of people willing to pay more than $1k is coming down. Crunchysuperman is the collector i had in mind when i said i could only think of one collector willing to pay $1.5k for this. There may be 2 or 3 more that are willing to pay over $1k. After these collectors obtain a copy, the price will drop below $1k

Well how do you know that. Let's be honest, you have no clue. Tell me your crystal ball that lets you see what future video game prices are? You hubris on this is unbelievable. Don't you get it. It's just a game. It's only a game. Who cares if it goes for 5 thousand or under 1 grand. Yet you seem fixated on the belief that this will be less than 1,000. Not only are you fixated on this it seems you need to tell the world multiple times your opinion. Still, the price of this rare game is irreverent. My point is that it will always be rarer than the amount of people who have this game. I personally don't have this game, and most likely I will never want this game. Unlike you I choose to be more positive on games. Unlike you I also understand that there have been a few people who have paid over $1,500 for this game. And unlike you, I understand it's a total slap in their face to arrogantly declare in a no doubt about it way that this game will consistently be lower than $1,000. Do you even understand how many Air Raid owners you disrespect by being so pompous about this?

Edited by homerwannabee

Well how do you know that. Let's be honest, you have no clue. Tell me your crystal ball that lets you see what future video game prices are? You hubris on this is unbelievable. Don't you get it. It's just a game. It's only a game. Who cares if it goes for 5 thousand or under 1 grand. Yet you seem fixated on the belief that this will be less than 1,000. Not only are you fixated on this it seems you need to tell the world multiple times your opinion. Still, the price of this rare game is irreverent. My point is that it will always be rarer than the amount of people who have this game. I personally don't have this game, and most likely I will never want this game. Unlike you I choose to be more positive on games. Unlike you I also understand that there have been a few people who have paid over $1,500 for this game. And unlike you, I understand it's a total slap in their face to arrogantly declare in a no doubt about it way that this game will consistently be lower than $1,000. Do you even understand how many Air Raid owners you disrespect by being so pompous about this?

No, it's a pirate hack.

Unlike you I also understand that there have been a few people who have paid over $1,500 for this game. And unlike you, I understand it's a total slap in their face to arrogantly declare in a no doubt about it way that this game will consistently be lower than $1,000. Do you even understand how many Air Raid owners you disrespect by being so pompous about this?

Dude, wait... what?

Air Raid will drop below $1K. Just a matter of supply and demand. Yes, you are right that there are many people who want to own this cart (me including), but the number of people willing to pay top dollar for that cart is rather limited (my max for that cart would be $50 or something). If there is nobody left willing to pay over $1K for this cart than the value will go down to whatever the max is what people are willing to pay.

I'm pretty sure there's not a single collector on AA that owns Air Raid that considers Dino's post as an insult. You see, they actually are very aware that this is 'only a game' :)

Cheers,

Marco

"JUST LEAVE AIR RAID ALONE!"

post-5874-1246970058_thumb.jpg

The people that would be mostly upset, this cart goes under a grand, are people like the ones that put it on ebay and pulled it to keep. They think it will go up and send their Kids to College on it. :grin: Around 5 Years ago I would have paid $1500 for it. I got over that obsession. I have the money now to pay that, but would be hard pressed to pay $800. Just don't have much interest anymore. BTW Homer, Your statements look like you are upset and ranting aimlessly. Be prepared for ribbing. What a shame you have been pretty good, as of late. :P I would much rather have a bunch of $200 to $300 original CIB Games or heaven forbid, Even a Atlantis II CIB. There I said it. :)

Last year some random insert sports card was selling for 3X what it is today.

Just like in every hobby some things are HOT at times. Air Raid was once HOT but it isn't anymore. Beagle Bros carts were hot at one time as well. I think the # of people willing to pay 1k+ on this cart has dropped. No way to measure this or know for sure it is just my gut after watching these games go up and down for ~15 years. I think even those people willing to spend 1k have noticed the change and hell why should they pay more than they have to?

I've been wrong before and no one knows for sure till it happens but I realy think those that sat on this game to sell down the road made a mistake.

I'm pretty sure there's not a single collector on AA that owns Air Raid that considers Dino's post as an insult. You see, they actually are very aware that this is 'only a game' :)

Cheers,

Marco

Yes, it's only a game, but at the same time I would presume that you would not want to feel that you got ripped off because you bought it 4 years ago. It's like rubbing salt in the wound when people go around saying that $1,500 is way too much.

P.S. one more thing. To those who are on my side and just don't want the flack by not posting anything. Have you noticed that people are the most critical on the super rare games like Pepsi Invaders, Air Raid, etc..... Have you also noticed that the people saying that these rare games are not worth that much are indeed the ones who do not own these carts? Fact is any rare Atari 2600 game has it's problems.

Air Raid pirate hack as CPU WIZ mentioned

Eli's Ladder: A children's math game

Pepsi Invaders: A hack

Video Life: Not really a game

Magic Card: Not really a game

Xante games: Just a reprint of earlier games

BMX Airmaster: Just a reprint of an earlier game

Ultravision Karate: A really bad game, can be had for much cheaper by getting the Froggo game

Birthday Mania: Not really a game

Spacechase monogrammed: Just a very simple hack where the person get's their initials.

I just don't understand the hate for the games. Almost all the Atari 2600 rare games have something or other that you can criticize the games for. Let's just appreciate the rare and valuable games instead of trying to tear them down all the time.

Edit: By the way this will be my last post in this thread. I have said all I have wanted to say on the matter.

Edited by homerwannabee

I don't think you get it. It is about the love of the game, hack. learning game etc. Also the search. It is the Nostalgia factor for me and looking at the box, playing the game, like I did back in the day. I think it is fun to follow game prices so ya don't get ripped off, and get the games as cheap as you can. This way you can buy more games. :) Any one with money can (Hell I could pay $5k for the air raid if I wanted or 2k for Pepsi Invaders) but I think there is no fun in that. Finding a $300 game for $50, $100. That is fun for me. To each, his own. Homer you look at Air Raid and see a $2500 game. I look at it and see a real cool T Handle cart, I would love to display and plug in and play. Everyone collects differently and as long as it is fun, who cares.

Games like this are only worth what someone wants to pay for it. If people hadn't paid top dollar for it then no one would bother with it. Back in the late 90's I paid way over the odds for games that are now virtually worthless. Prices rise and fall but as already stated if someone wants to pay $1000 for a game then more fool them but in the end it is their choice ;)

Homer

I don't think there is hate here. I think some people feel that games were overpriced and now we see some correction in pricing.

Most here enjoy Atari both the good and the bad. The common and the rare. We talk about the best games to play and the worst ever made. Games go up we talk about it games go down we talk about it. It is all positive.

You must be a fan of the movie The Secret. Instead of sitting back and watching the market develop and rise and fall or twist and turn as it will, you think you can by sheer force of will or positive thinking or whatever you want to call it change the way things are.

Homer

I don't think there is hate here. I think some people feel that games were overpriced and now we see some correction in pricing.

Most here enjoy Atari both the good and the bad. The common and the rare. We talk about the best games to play and the worst ever made. Games go up we talk about it games go down we talk about it. It is all positive.

You must be a fan of the movie The Secret. Instead of sitting back and watching the market develop and rise and fall or twist and turn as it will, you think you can by sheer force of will or positive thinking or whatever you want to call it change the way things are.

precisely. Its the same with PI. Once the "hardcore" collectors obtained a copy, we saw the price drop to 1/3rd or what it sold for only a few years earlier (Wonder007 bought his for $1.8k and the last copy i saw that sold on ebay went for around $700). The problem with Atari collecting is that there isn't the critical mass to ensure prices remain high. There are too few collectors willing to pay >$1k for a loose cart. Once they get copies, the price is then destined to fall below $1k. People come and go from this hobby, but overall, the number of hardcore collectors has remained constant. This means that as new copies are discovered, the price will fall. You would need the number of hardcore collectors to increase, or have a dramatic increase in the salary of Atari collectors to buck this trend.

Its not about hating a cart. I actually love Air Raid. its one of the few non-braz T handles I don't have and would love to have one day. I'm just not prepared to pay $1k for it and neither are most people on this forum.

its one of the few non-braz T handles I don't have

Are you sure. :ponder: :P

:D Apart from Megaboy, I dont think the Brazilians ever even did a hack of another game. So its pretty safe to assume its not Braz. Mexican though.... :ponder: Either way, I'm a pretty universal kinda guy so it doesnt detract from its desirability.

It's definitely a cool looking cart! I too would love to have one, but my threshold for this one is in the $2-300 range. I would prefer this one over Eli's ladder and some of the other rares I think it is very special, even if it's origins are still unknown. Wish Terry Rutt would pop back into the Atariworld with scans/photos of the mysterious packaging that's never been seen. I seem to recall in one of the earlier DP guides that Joe wrote about his friend Kevin and a story of Air Raid dating back to the early 90s before Terry Rutt's find ever existed. I don't have the facts in front of me to check, but seems like this title may have been around for close to 20 years now, and still no one has proven the name! Someday this mystery will be solved!

No matter how you look at it. It is a cool looking cart, and as of now, a lot of Mystery to it. :)

yep, in my books it is THE COOLEST looking cart ever for any console

I like the art on the TRON t-handle carts way better. I don't even collect non-us and I've picked up a few here and there. They are just too awesome !

No matter how you look at it. It is a cool looking cart, and as of now, a lot of Mystery to it. :)

yep, in my books it is THE COOLEST looking cart ever for any console

I like the art on the TRON t-handle carts way better. I don't even collect non-us and I've picked up a few here and there. They are just too awesome !

but Airraid is sky blue and the actual handle is more awesome than the Trons. I like the Trons too though. I wish they came in a full sized box