IGNORED

2600 to 7800 conversion. :)

doctorclu

Hey I was wondering... thinking about how I liked a lot of 2600 games, but just wished they had better graphics.

Then I thought, hey, the 7800 had better graphics. How difficult would it be to decompile the 2600 games (seen Nukey Shay do this a lot) keep the gameplay but give it jazzed up 7800 graphics and then make a 7800 rom?

How similar is the 2600 to the 7800 in programming?

Hey I was wondering... thinking about how I liked a lot of 2600 games, but just wished they had better graphics.

Then I thought, hey, the 7800 had better graphics. How difficult would it be to decompile the 2600 games (seen Nukey Shay do this a lot) keep the gameplay but give it jazzed up 7800 graphics and then make a 7800 rom?

How similar is the 2600 to the 7800 in programming?

You would basically have to rewrite the game from scratch. 7800-mode is completely different from 2600-mode where graphics are concerned.

Funny, when I first opened this thread up, I thought that this was gonna be a topic in where someone put the insides of a 7800 in the shell of a 2600 (with a wider cartridge slot I'd assume). Has that ever been done? I tried doing a search on the forums, a 7800 in the body of a heavy sixer? Is it possible?

Funny, when I first opened this thread up, I thought that this was gonna be a topic in where someone put the insides of a 7800 in the shell of a 2600 (with a wider cartridge slot I'd assume). Has that ever been done? I tried doing a search on the forums, a 7800 in the body of a heavy sixer? Is it possible?

That is SOOOOOOO funny - I just had that exact thought about attempting that 2 seconds before checking the forums... Weird.

Back on topic, I had started to make an 'Adventure' conversion (take the source code for the logic and convert it to use the 7800 display list)... I have the documents 2600 source, made the graphics table for the 7800, and stopped there. :( I may pick it up again after I finish what I'm working on now :twisted: It's be cool to add some twists to the game (and multicolor ducks!)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Sure it's possible but both shell and 7800 board would need some fairly serious alteration to make a clean job of it. In the end, you wind up with a 7800 that is easily mistaken for a 2600. I'm not sure why someone would want to do that.

That is SOOOOOOO funny - I just had that exact thought about attempting that 2 seconds before checking the forums... Weird.

Back on topic, I had started to make an 'Adventure' conversion (take the source code for the logic and convert it to use the 7800 display list)... I have the documents 2600 source, made the graphics table for the 7800, and stopped there. :( I may pick it up again after I finish what I'm working on now :twisted: It's be cool to add some twists to the game (and multicolor ducks!)

Bob

If you do get back to the project, be sure to add extra game modes 4+ that include much larger worlds with ever more dragons etc. ;)

Yes, Shawn Sr. has done this in the past.