IGNORED

Alien Vs Predator for the Lynx

bluevoodu

So, I guess you don't know that B & C is selling AvP Prototype demo carts for $40, huh?

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely a bit buggy, and most certainly incomplete, but I've been enjoying the gaming experience.

I am able to get around 5 levels into the marine game before I mysteriously die, game over. The Predator game, however, is annoying me because I just can't find the way out of the first level. (There is no alien game in this demo.)

The basic point in this version of AvP is to "collect bombs and find the exit." Kind of odd, especially since you apparently can't use the bombs. (and why does the Pred NEED a bomb?) But you do get a few weapons to use. They aren't terribly helpful, since there are apparently no enemies. What you do contend with, tho, are marines. In both the Pred and the marine games, there are these twitchy, poorly animated marines that do nothing other than get in your way. I found that I actually had to kill them, sometimes, to get them out of the way. Most of the time, they just flutter around nervously, but sometimes, they block your forward movement until you shoot them repeatedly.

But anyway, I've played the Predator's first level several times. I find the bomb (actually two) but there seems to be no exit. The map for the marine game is the same as the Pred, but when I go to the "marine" exit, it doesn't end the level. Can anyone help?

So, bottom line, the demo is playable, but buggy. For instance, the map doesn't clear itself from one level to the next, so by the end of the second level, it's useless. But I'm having fun with it.

Oh, and as far as I can tell, this game is not linkable.

McGrail, were you one of the lucky few who actually had a REAL prototype copy, or a copy of the copy, like me?

Yeah, I agree that it's not very complete at all, but it's interesting. I'm glad I picked it up.

It gives some idea of what the Lynx is capable of. I think it could have been a fun game. Some of the levels are pretty big, with a lot of twists and turns. The 3D look isn't bad. Makes me wonder if a Doom-type game would be possible.

Sure is too bad it wasn't finished... :sad:

I think it can be done. A little while ago Lucien Kleijkers posted a 3d demo that was very Doom/Wolfenstein like in nature. It's just moving around a maze at this time but adding the shooting elements should be possible. It's a really sweet & smooth moving demo. You can check it out at Atari Times: Lynx Does 3D. I recommend a look if you haven't seen it.

Unlike the AVP demo it actually has the subtle movements (any angle) of other first person games instead of just moving in the 4 cordinal directions.