IGNORED

monthly competitions opinion

phuzaxeman

i see that many people are playing gyruss. one of my fav games. imho i really think there should be a seperate division for stock 5200 players. i like how the competitions are and they do bring great interest in a neat system...but knowing that 90%+ of the gyruss (and other games) players are on another controller and most likely playing on a computer or dreamcast etc makes me not interested to compete.

for the sake of comparison, my first game on win800 did bring me past 100,000 (used ps2 controllers)...i then played on the 5200 with stock controllers and scored around 60,000. keep in mind that both were 1st times i've played in a really long time. i'm sure if i actually practiced, i could catch up to me win800 score. i've beat the game in the past and it goes back to the beginning if i remember correctly. knowing people are using autofire is still a bit discouraging (even if they claim they're not).

i know a lot of people completely disagree and thats ok. but its how i honestly feel. emulators are great, but owning the system and playing is where it should be at. for the record, i've won the few times i've played in the past with stock controllers.

play on!

I wouldn't mind seeing a separate list for stock controllers, but a single list with a little asterisk or something noting which controller was used would be fine, too. It's not a big deal to me either way, since I haven't had much time to participate lately anyways.

FWIW, unless I don't have the cart and have to play on an emulator I prefer using the stock controllers & console. It's just more fun. I'd probably change my tune if I had a Wico stick or something. ;)

Most of the time, when I compete in a high score competition, it's with original hardware. I find on most systems that the first party controllers are the best, but if you've followed my posts in the 5200 forum, you know that no love is lost between me and the stock 5200 controllers.

Are we talking Best rebuilt controllers or the actual bone stick devices?

Most of the time, when I compete in a high score competition, it's with original hardware. I find on most systems that the first party controllers are the best, but if you've followed my posts in the 5200 forum, you know that no love is lost between me and the stock 5200 controllers.

i have the same controllers from the 80's that i changed the flex and buttons. so i think rebuilt contollers are the same as stock with new parts in them. mechanics are still the same. i use a ps2 controller on an emulator and that thing is much more advanced technology. to compete with a ps2 controller vs an atari 5200 controller isn't too fair.

i have the same controllers from the 80's that i changed the flex and buttons. so i think rebuilt contollers are the same as stock with new parts in them. mechanics are still the same. i use a ps2 controller on an emulator and that thing is much more advanced technology. to compete with a ps2 controller vs an atari 5200 controller isn't too fair.

:lol:

I'm sorry, that's just funny. They are very different to play games with. On the inside, though, there are a lot of similarities. The PS2 controller has similar contact pads, has flex circuits, analog sticks, etc. Too bad the 5200 controller isn't as reliable, though.

:lol:

I'm sorry, that's just funny. They are very different to play games with. On the inside, though, there are a lot of similarities. The PS2 controller has similar contact pads, has flex circuits, analog sticks, etc. Too bad the 5200 controller isn't as reliable, though.

to think if atari would have developed a self centering analog stick like the ps2 would have been amazing. you can see the ps2 stick does have some of the 5200 dna.

reminds me of when they kicked bender out of luna park

how bout you make your own park with hookers and blackjack hell forget the park

but i see what you mean

i personally would like a straight 5200 machine games rule but how far do you want to lawyer it up with rules i think my homemade joystick gives me an advantage over stock controllers

so for simplisticness i say its a free for all as long as we are all playing the same "rom" let it slide what it is played on and how it is controlled its all fun nobody wins anything anyway

reminds me of when they kicked bender out of luna park

how bout you make your own park with hookers and blackjack hell forget the park

but i see what you mean

i personally would like a straight 5200 machine games rule but how far do you want to lawyer it up with rules i think my homemade joystick gives me an advantage over stock controllers

so for simplisticness i say its a free for all as long as we are all playing the same "rom" let it slide what it is played on and how it is controlled its all fun nobody wins anything anyway

not saying a rule or anything to alienate other players....but an added division in which people compete scores using their 5200 and the 5200 controllers. you really dont change anything but add more fun...nothing more. so you'd have a general competition, using the same game/rom, and a stock division using the 5200 console and 5200 controllers only.

I don't think it's a bad idea, athough I wouldn't be using an original stock stick either. I still don't have one and unless I stumble across one anytime soon it won't be happening. My current setup works just great as others have their own methods of gamplay. I do agree there should be a dedicated, no emulation permitted, group of players to make it more authentic and realistic to hardware constraints rather than open to potential cheats changing clock speeds, saving/loading spots in the game, or other artificial score increasing methods. Yes, there is a lacking of prizes and rewards other than being claimed the victor for that go-around, but at least it would create a more interesting direct gaming competition pitting player and hardware against one another.

I'm of the opposite opinion. As long as we are all playing the same rom, I think it should be allowed. I like allowing auto-fire (but I wouldn't use it with the new rules). That's part of the fun - trying to figure it what joystick combination works best for you as a gamer. The vintage magazine competitions never limited controllers and the joystick reviews also talked about how this might help with scores as a good thing. Game reviews would recommend using this controller or that one, recommending auto-fire or a 4-way joystick, etc. Also, it's a slippery slope - do Best gold sticks count, can you pause the game to figure out where you are, does s-video give someone a better chance, etc. In the end, it's for fun and the scores show that the most skilled gamers (doesn't include me ;-) win with whatever sticks they use.

I'm of the opposite opinion. As long as we are all playing the same rom, I think it should be allowed. I like allowing auto-fire (but I wouldn't use it with the new rules). That's part of the fun - trying to figure it what joystick combination works best for you as a gamer. The vintage magazine competitions never limited controllers and the joystick reviews also talked about how this might help with scores as a good thing. Game reviews would recommend using this controller or that one, recommending auto-fire or a 4-way joystick, etc. Also, it's a slippery slope - do Best gold sticks count, can you pause the game to figure out where you are, does s-video give someone a better chance, etc. In the end, it's for fun and the scores show that the most skilled gamers (doesn't include me ;-) win with whatever sticks they use.

i'm not asking using auto-fire or another joystick shouldnt be allowed...i'm recommending adding a "stock" division where in this division people use both the 5200 console and 5200 sticks.

see your kyosho optima rc pic? i ran the ultima back in the 80's in the stock division using the original ultima and the 540 engine.... :-)

Phuz,

It is a lot like rc racing classes. I'm slowly restoring a Turbo Ultima in the shed - all the Optima and Ultima line of cars were great. If you want to see some fanatics restoring old Ultimas:

http://ultimahouse.blogspot.com/

thats a great site! i made an ultima site a while back and but havent been keeping up. i do race 1/16-1/18 scale (mini inferno/tamtech cars)