IGNORED

New 7800 owner problems.

16-bit

So I recently acquired a 7800 in great shape with a nice selection of boxed games. :)

The games are all in good condition, some even look brand new, but I can't get a few of them to work. I've cleaned the contacts in the carts, and I've taken the system apart and given it a good cleaning too, but they are still being temperamental. The title screen will show, but after that it just goes to a black screen usually with two vertical green lines (if that makes any difference).

Are there any tricks or other things I can try to get these working?

I'm no expert but I can think of three possibilties:

1. If these are 7800 games you're getting a "title" screen as in the Atari 7800 bios screen with the Atari logo, then nothing, it could be the carts aren't fully coming into contact in the slot. Sort of a variation of the old NES "blinker."

2. If you've fully cleaned the 7800 and the games and still don't get good contact no matter how much you try, it could be that they're just dead carts no matter how good they looked when you opened the box.

(I've long held to the belief there's no such thing as a dead cart if it's well enough cleaned, but 1 out of 40 Atari games proves me wrong. NES, more like 1 out of 100.)

3. The really perplexing part is that you say some work and some don't. That makes me think we're not talking about 7800 games here, because there are some 2600 games that just don't fit in a 7800 slot because the cart shell is too wide. I always have a bitch of a time with third party games. (S'why a Cuttle Cart is such a nice thing to have.)

Sorry I should have been more clear. They're all 7800 games that are giving me trouble. I haven't tried any 2600 games on it yet.

I tried taking the game out and putting it back in a few times too to see make sure it was fully inserted/making full contact, but it's still the same.

They could also be 7800 PAL carts on an NTSC system. Do they have a "P" sticker on the back of the cart?

Ah ha! Just looked, and the three games that were giving me trouble all had the P sticker. I had noticed it when I got them, but didn't realize that was what it was for.

Thanks Groovy :D