IGNORED

Atari 5200 Player 1 Joystick Problem

amiman99

Hi,

I had my 2 Port A5200 for a 10 years now, and ever since then, the Joystick port one was defective, would not go up/down. My friend added a pull-up resistor to the trackball so we could play Centipede, but when I purchased, few month ago, 3 controllers from Ebay, finally I found out that it was a console problem, not the trackball.

Can some one point me in the right direction and tell me which chip could be bad and can I get a replacement somewhere?

Hi,

I had my 2 Port A5200 for a 10 years now, and ever since then, the Joystick port one was defective, would not go up/down. My friend added a pull-up resistor to the trackball so we could play Centipede, but when I purchased, few month ago, 3 controllers from Ebay, finally I found out that it was a console problem, not the trackball.

Can some one point me in the right direction and tell me which chip could be bad and can I get a replacement somewhere?

hate to sound like captain obvious but are any pins missing from the jack a few of mine broke over the years and i just shove in a header pin and it works again

Sounds like it could be a 4052 chip as I discovered in my own machine and discussed briefly in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109115

I recall having to troubleshoot and repair my 2 port by using the 4 port schematic. I'm not sure it's relevant for you, but my bad 4052 was U9. You'll see the 4052's as the first thing the port connects to. There's a schematic here on AA that I used, if those things are useful to you:

http://www.atariage.com/5200/archives/sche...200_IO_Low.html

http://www.atariage.com/5200/archives/sche...l?SystemID=5200

I may have given you a bum steer. Reviewing the schematic, now I'd have to say that my problem must have been with the buttons, not the joystick. It looks like the pot inputs go directly into the POKEY chip, not through the 4052. I don't have experience with that and I don't have my 5200 handy to look at.

I'm too tired to reason through it right now and I'll be out of town for the next several days so I'll have leave it to someone with more knowledge and/or skill to help you out.

I'd suggest searching the forums here for issues involving broken/repaired 5200's. There's a good chance that the question has been answered here before.

Good luck.

Edited by BigO

• 10 months later...

I may have given you a bum steer. Reviewing the schematic, now I'd have to say that my problem must have been with the buttons, not the joystick. It looks like the pot inputs go directly into the POKEY chip, not through the 4052. I don't have experience with that and I don't have my 5200 handy to look at.

I'm too tired to reason through it right now and I'll be out of town for the next several days so I'll have leave it to someone with more knowledge and/or skill to help you out.

I'd suggest searching the forums here for issues involving broken/repaired 5200's. There's a good chance that the question has been answered here before.

Good luck.

I know that its been many months since last post, but I have good news.

I finally found time to tinker with the 5200. After your comment about the POKEY chip, I did some surfing and found out that the chip is soldered inside some 7800 game cartridges. I got from EBAY Ballblazer for 7800, desoldered the chip, replaced it, and it's working very well. Finally after sitting in my closet for over 12 or so years the sucker is working.