IGNORED

Question: How can I do a good cleaning on a cartridge?

NML32

I bought Gyruss today at the flea market and it isn't working very well. I have some cleaning solution I bought not to long ago to clean the contacts and that helped some.

The game doesn't always start when put in.

Sometimes I only get a blue scren or the game comes on but at the bottom will have part of the year like 19@!. Now when it comes on I can't move the ship down or right I thought my controller port went bad but Pacman plays just fine as well as other games I have.

I haven't figured out how to take the cartrige apart to try and clean it better.

Any suggestions?

Edited by NML32

I bought Gyruss today at the flea market and it isn't working very well. I have some cleaning solution I bought not to long ago to clean the contacts and that helped some.

The game doesn't always start when put in.

Sometimes I only get a blue scren or the game comes on but at the bottom will have part of the year like 19@!. Now when it comes on I can't move the ship down or right I thought my controller port went bad but Pacman plays just fine as well as other games I have.

I haven't figured out how to take the cartrige apart to try and clean it better.

Any suggestions?

i use my teeshirt with a little hard ruler

i put the ruler under my shirt then it kind of makes a little cover for the ruler and then i rub back and forth

gyruss is an odd game mine starts up with the black screen and jsut when i think its not going to work it nuh noo nuh starts

Update:

OK, cartridge is cleaned and seems to be working except for the problem with down and right. I read in another post that there is an adjustment on the MB for the controller. I will give that a try when I get time and I have been planning on adjusting the color/tint for a while now so this will be a good time to take care of both.

In gyrus the earth on the title screen looks green not blue, I hope to clear this up. Now I just wish I had a test cart like the one for the 7800/2600.

Update:

OK, cartridge is cleaned and seems to be working except for the problem with down and right. I read in another post that there is an adjustment on the MB for the controller. I will give that a try when I get time and I have been planning on adjusting the color/tint for a while now so this will be a good time to take care of both.

In gyrus the earth on the title screen looks green not blue, I hope to clear this up. Now I just wish I had a test cart like the one for the 7800/2600.

Star Wars (the arcade game version) is a good game for calibrating the pots. The cross point where you shoot should be in center of the screen. For colors, perhaps comparing with A800 version.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Star Wars (the arcade game version) is a good game for calibrating the pots. The cross point where you shoot should be in center of the screen. For colors, perhaps comparing with A800 version.

No real need to take the cart apart for cleaning. Begin by lightly going over both sides of the contacts with very fine grit sandpaper (2-3 times max.). Next, take a cotton swab soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol across both sides of the contacts until no black residue/dirt comes off onto the cotton swab. Finally, your down and right problem is in the pots of your controller, not the motherboard or game cart. Perfect game for calibrating the pots is Missile Command. With the cross-hairs in the visual center of your TV screen, the top pot arm should be positioned at 9 o'clock, and the bottom pot arm should be aligned at 6 o'clock. If this is not the case, then twist the pot arms (they will be stiff because of press fit) until proper alignment is achieved. Lastly, if new pots are needed, call Best Electronics. They sold me four new ones for $2.50 ea. plus shipping. My controllers have never worked better.