IGNORED

7800 Monitor Cartridge

ballyalley

I was noticed that there is no ROM image or manual for the 7800 Monitor cartridge on AtariAge. I own this cartridge and its very long manual. I was wondering if the reason that the cartridge hasn't been made available is because Video 61 or Harry doesn't want it distributed. Does anyone know anything about this? Even if the cartridge ROM image was available, would it even WORK (the cartridge has extra RAM). The cartridge isn't a game (thus, it's not for everyone), but it does come with a neat 7800 tech demo.

Adam

I was noticed that there is no ROM image or manual for the 7800 Monitor cartridge on AtariAge. I own this cartridge and its very long manual. I was wondering if the reason that the cartridge hasn't been made available is because Video 61 or Harry doesn't want it distributed. Does anyone know anything about this? Even if the cartridge ROM image was available, would it even WORK (the cartridge has extra RAM). The cartridge isn't a game (thus, it's not for everyone), but it does come with a neat 7800 tech demo.

Adam

Yes, that is correct. Harry did not want them to be distibuted. It should be noted that there are actually supposed to be four different version of the ROM (One rev1 and three rev2 versions). Pretty crazy considering less than 100 of these were made.

Mitch

Is there a way to tell which version of the ROM that you have? Since the ML monitor is built in, has anyone found a byte or two that can be looked at that would let you know which version that you have? Is there a list of some known differences between the ROMs?

Adam

Well, the rev1 doesn't have a switch on the side since it doesn't have a 2600 mode so that one is easy to tell. As for the rev2s, there probably is a way to tell the difference but I don't know what it is, sorry.

Mitch