IGNORED

Mario's a Carpenter?

Rik

I was playing 7800 Donkey Kong last night and read the back of the box describing game.The 1st sentence states"You are Mario,the fearless carpenter".I thought wait a minute,isn't mario a Plumber?I guess he wanted a career change.Whats the story behind this one?

In Donkey Kong, Mario was originally a carpenter.

Actually, originally he wasn't even "Mario", but rather just called "Jumpman". Later releases changed his name to Mario.

It wasn't until Mario Bros. (NOT Super Mario Bros., mind you) that Mario, along with his brother Luigi (I think that games was Luigi's first appearance, btw) were in the plumbing business. Maybe Mario was a carpenter at first, and then moved on to plumbing? Maybe he was a general handyman?

Most likely he just worked a bunch of different jobs. I mean, honestly...he was a ref in Punch Out :D

From there they somehow wound up in the Mushroom Kingdom, the setting of Super Mario Bros. Maybe the brothers fell into one of the pipes that somehow transported them to another world (ala that god-awful Super Mario Bros. The Movie movie). Or maybe they were always in the Mushroom Kingdom. Or maybe they just took one too many "magic mushrooms" and everything has been some warped drug induced fantasy. ;)

Taken from the manual of the 2600 version of Mario Bros.:

Mario the carpenter and his brother Luigi are hopping mad! The water

pipes in their house are blocked with nests of crawling creatures. If

the two brothers can't get rid of them they'll never take a bath again!

So, they're still carpenters in this sequel...they're just having plumbing issues in their own home. So, that begs the question, when did they officially become plumbers? SMB?