IGNORED

"Best of CGE '03" 2-DVD set now available

We're going back in time...to the 2003 CGE!

cgedvd03.jpg

The Best of CGE '03 2-disc set features many of the highlights of the 2003 Classic Gaming Expo; Atari fans will be especially interested in (to date) Atari founder Nolan Bushnell's only CGE appearance (over an hour and a half total!) as well as John Harris, who designed the Atari 8-bit computer games Jawbreaker, Mouskattack and Frogger for Sierra On-Line.

As with each of my earlier projects, I've keep learning new and better ways to do things, and as such Best of CGE '03 has the best picture and sound quality of any of my releases to date. There are a couple of places where sound is a casualty here (due to the flimsy folding partition wall that separated the speakers' room from the main hall which was loaded with arcade games); this occurs in the Arcade Designers' panel, so I took a unique approach to editing that segment, putting in captions for the Q&A session so you can see which topic is being discussed (and you can use your chapter jump buttons to jump to the next topic if you like).

The complete table of contents:

DISC ONE

Starcade Alumni Highlights – featuring former Starcade contestants and season 1 host Mark Richards

The Jawbreaker Story – former Sierra On-Line programmer John Harris talks about his breakout games, and the behind-the-scenes maneuvers that drove him out of the business

Arcade Designer Highlights – featuring Ed Rotberg, Tim Skelly, Warren Davis & Franz Lanzinger

2003 Auction Excerpt – some of the highlights from the 2003 CGE Auction.

Bonus features: CGE ‘03 Raw Footage – raw, unedited footage from the show floor and the CGE museum. It’s CGE as seen from an attendee’s perspective!

DISC TWO

Nolan Bushnell: The Atari Story – the complete Nolan Bushnell panel, well over an hour.

Bonus: Phosphor Dot Fossils: CGE 2003 Edition – using the same format as the popular Phosphor Dot Fossils DVDs (also available from theLogBook.com), this is a brief “video glossary” giving brief historical overviews of the games mentioned across the rest of the 2-DVD set.

nolan03.jpg

Best of CGE '03 will be available at the 2009 OVGE in Tulsa this October, or you can order now from theLogbook.com Media.

Also available - through the end of this month - is a really good package deal on my previous DVDs, combining the CGE 2007 set with either or both of the Phosphor Dot Fossils DVDs. That special pricing will vanish at the end of August, however, so order soon if you plan to take advantage of it!

Also: as of the end of 2009, the Phosphor Dot Fossils DVDs will be available only in the 2-disc Brown Box set; the individual releases of each Phosphor Dot Fossils volume will go out of print on December 31st. (If you're going to OVGE in October, I will have the last few individual copies on hand, so you can still pick one up there.)

As always, thanks to everyone who has supported these releases over the past couple of years. You've helped me continue to make cool stuff available, and you've helped a stay-at-home dad make a buck or two - both are very much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Here's a preliminary table of contents (and very preliminary cover art) for the upcoming Best of CGE '05 set...

cge05early.gif

Disc 1

Activision vs. Imagic – 1 hour, 7 minutes

The Atari Engineers – 54 minutes

Jerry Lawson – 48 minutes

Bill Kunkel – 40 minutes

Raw Footage – 21 minutes

Bonus Features TBA

Disc 2

Atari Programmers – 1 hour, 23 minutes

Bonus Features TBA

Everything was shot and is being edited in widescreen - this set will fill your HDTV with CGE goodness. Content-wise, it's very 2600-heavy - the two longest panels on the set cover the 2600 programmers and their work.

There are more details here. Also remember that if you're going to Tulsa's OVGE show or CCAG - both on October 24th - you can pre-order your copies of any of the DVDs I've produced and they'll be reserved for you. Everyone not going to those shows will be able to place orders online the same weekend.

Edited by Phosphor Dot Fossils

• 9 months later...

I was searching for old CGE 2003 photos and ran across this! It's the only CGE I've been able to attend, so I had to buy it. Hopefully you guys are still in business. :D

I'll let ya know what I think once I receive and watch it.

Cheers,

Smeg