IGNORED

fixing dead PS3's

The MilkMan

If there is a thread already on this, could someone please provide links?

I was given a PS3 that will not operate the game discs. The browser works, just wont play games.

If I look for a ebay drive replacement, does the "wont work because the drive works in conjunction the motherboard" problem arise?

Or is a straight swap doable?

The drive is out of the console right now. Is there a number or something I should look for or what kind of drive to replace, or are they all the same?

Edited by The MilkMan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

won't power up? got any blinking lights?

can't run emulators unless you go Linux.

No lights. Nothing.

It appears to be completely dead.

Actually, upon further review, it looks like one of the prongs is broken off the back of the power supply. In theory, I may just be able to swap out the power supply? I mean, that is certainly a primary issue. I wonder if there are any other problems?

Edited by BerzerkZombieBentley

if the jack is broken, the power supply may be good. the jack is attached to the backplate of the case, not to the power supply. should be easy to swap it out.

I'll have to take a look at that. I honestly haven't opened it all the way, yet.

Thank you for the info!

Okay, I've got that removed. Any idea where I could get a replacement part for that?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

any of the online electronic parts suppliers (Mouser, Digi-Key etc) should have it, or steal it from something else. got a bad PC power supply anywhere?

i would probably splice in a cord to make sure the PS worked, but if it's got a bad jack you'll need one anyways...

Edited by frank_c