IGNORED

PS3 need a internet connection?

rpgfaker

by RGB do you mean component video? If so then yes - that's how my PS3 is hooked up to my HDTV, which was built before HDMI existed.

Note: There are 2 ways to send a video signal via component. There's RGB as well as Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr. Make sure your TV and PS3 are set for the same format.

Edited by SpiceWare

ah - that's actually neither. Video cables can be confusing, I'm big into home theater and even I have trouble keeping up - the HDMI spec keeps going through versions and I couldn't tell you which version does what :lol: Some HDMI versions don't carry audio, some include ethernet, etc.

RGB would be a VGA connector as there's separate connections to carry the Red, Green and Blue signals.

Component video cables look like your Red/Yellow/White cables but they're colored Red, Green and Blue and are a bit thicker than the Red/Yellow/White cables as they have to carry more data.

S-Video is Y/C where Y is luminance (black & white) and C is chrominance (color).

The Red/Yellow/White cables area really stereo sound(red/white - none of the prior cables carry audio) and Composite video(yellow).

Funny though the S-video has never worked good and often when playing PS2 or Gamecube the screen will blue out when going to a subscreen it also distorts the top of the picture, where with the composite connection it's slightly fuzzier but the picture is consistent. I'll try for composite cables if possible.

whoops I should have just googled it sooner, a quote from QJ.net

"AV Multi Out. For Composite, HD Ready, S-Video or Scart connections. The PS3 comes with a standard A/V composite cable but to get the most benefit from PS3's 1080p output you will need a HDMI cable and a HDTV that supports 1080p."

I guess the only question now is to buy a slim or an older PS3. Thanks for the help!:)

Edited by rpgfaker

You aren't required to have an internet connection but the 360 and PS3 both have game patches and the only way to get them is through an internet connection. That may not be a big deal to you either though unless they release a patch that fixes an issue you've noticed with a game.

Yeah it kinda jiggles like it's not really solid, and while I might be crazy enough to take a controller apart to fix it TV's are off my list :D

@HammR25 thanks for the heads up I'll look around for the compatibility list and see if there's any problems.

Maybe its just my "out in the boonies" internet connection thru "Ralph's Used Tire & Broadband", but I sometimes have trouble updating games. Its almost like the servers are above capacity and either nothing downloads or downloads extremely slow.... especially at night. And I admit to getting frustrated when I want to just play a game and the "an update is available" message comes up... which happens a lot with PS3 games.... and I can't play that game until I do the update.

So when I encounter an update situation, rather than fight the PSN servers and not play a game when I want, I will simply disable my broadband connection and game on and then do the update later.

So, the answer is you don't need an internet connection to use the PS3. You won't get updates or patches without it but you don't have to have an internet connection to play the PS3.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Maybe its just my "out in the boonies" internet connection thru "Ralph's Used Tire & Broadband", but I sometimes have trouble updating games. Its almost like the servers are above capacity and either nothing downloads or downloads extremely slow....

I used to have a ton of trouble with it on my DSL. it wasn't a huge pipe but it should have been *a lot* faster than it was. For some reason ps3 just wasn't using it to its fullest. When I moved, I switched ISPs and bought their big connection. It really helped out.

Not that I'm suggesting ISP switching just to fix ps3 download times, but I now see why others didn't really complain about buying games only to have 600+ mb downloads before the thing would even start up. It really bugged me to buy a game one day, but I couldn't play it until the next day because the freaking update had to run overnight.

Edited by Reaperman

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe its just my "out in the boonies" internet connection thru "Ralph's Used Tire & Broadband", but I sometimes have trouble updating games. Its almost like the servers are above capacity and either nothing downloads or downloads extremely slow.... especially at night. And I admit to getting frustrated when I want to just play a game and the "an update is available" message comes up... which happens a lot with PS3 games.... and I can't play that game until I do the update.

So when I encounter an update situation, rather than fight the PSN servers and not play a game when I want, I will simply disable my broadband connection and game on and then do the update later.

So, the answer is you don't need an internet connection to use the PS3. You won't get updates or patches without it but you don't have to have an internet connection to play the PS3.

Mendon

I now know what you mean, I spent about 3 hours downloading a few demos a system update and a patch for Assassins Creed. Then installing everything took another hour, hope updates aren't going to be a common pest..