IGNORED

which arcade ports got it "right" ?

godzillajoe

But, what are we defining as "right?" Is it "as good as it can get" graphically with exceptional game play?

To me, "right" means, "Here's something I can really enjoy playing at home!"

And believe it or not, I highly enjoyed Pac-Man on the VCS/2600.

BTW -- I was well familiar with the arcade version of Crystal Castles before I played the 2600 version...and I LOVED the 2600 version.

OK, I know I am really biased, but I think Galaxian's port was actually better than the arcade version. True the yellow box on the outside is kind of ugly, but the game itself was a technical marvel on the 2600.

Right-on, what was up with the border on that game? Total nonsense if you ask me. It's supposed to take place in outer space,

not inside a spoiled pumpkin ;-)

I wonder if they had some kind of technical reason for that-- something related to the way so many sprites are generated per line? (Something that could show up around the edges of the screen that they wanted to cover up?) But even if that were so, you'd think they would have made the playfield box black instead of orange.

Michael

I always figured sort of the same thing--kind of like when they put Doom on 16-bit consoles but it was not full screen. Perhaps Galaxian's border limited the size of the playing field in a way that eased programming, its orange color being self-decided by limitations of the 2600 rather than a choice.

Initially "right" was intended to mean "not missing anything from the arcade" but I guess I didn;t exactly specify that as I typed

For instance, Donkey Kong.

Plus:

Sorta looks and plays like the arcade game

Minus:

Missing elevator screen

Missing cement factory screen

Hammer in wrong place on 1st screen

Fireballs don't travel up and down

So in general, OK but not so "right"

I wonder if they had some kind of technical reason for that-- something related to the way so many sprites are generated per line? (Something that could show up around the edges of the screen that they wanted to cover up?) But even if that were so, you'd think they would have made the playfield box black instead of orange.

Michael

I always figured sort of the same thing--kind of like when they put Doom on 16-bit consoles but it was not full screen. Perhaps Galaxian's border limited the size of the playing field in a way that eased programming, its orange color being self-decided by limitations of the 2600 rather than a choice.

I doubt if the specific color was determined by a limitation of the 2600, but who knows! :) Anyway, the Stella and z26 emulators let you turn off different graphical objects, so we should turn off the playfield and play it to see if anything funky ever shows up at the edges of the screen.

Michael

Michael

I doubt if the specific color was determined by a limitation of the 2600, but who knows! :) Anyway, the Stella and z26 emulators let you turn off different graphical objects, so we should turn off the playfield and play it to see if anything funky ever shows up at the edges of the screen.

Michael

The next version of Stella will also include 'fixed debug colors' option, which sets each graphical object to a fixed color. That would be useful in this case, since the 'funky' stuff could be the same color as the surroundings, and you'd never see it otherwise. Having it as a separate, fixed color would always display any garbage present.

Hello everyone. I used to write an article for 2600 Connection about this very topic. Graphics and gameplay are a huge part but little things like scoring and sound counted too! The overall arcade feel was tough to get 100% on the VCS!

With the exception of River Patrol I have every arcade port made for the 2600. My votes go to:

Tapper

Centipede

Track & Field

Pole Position

Mario Bros. (even better with the Return of Mario Bros hack done a few years back)

Kung Fu Master

Starpath Frogger (perhaps the best!)

Star Trek

Honorable Mentions:

Road Runner

Crossbow (huge game, lack of enemies but still well done)

Klax

Q*Bert's Qubes

Star Wars

Bump N Jump

Looping (released a few years back)

If you count hacked versions (which used to be sold here at AA)

Berzerk w/speech

Return of Mario Bros.

Pac Man Arcade

Homebrews:

Ladybug (outstanding- if you don't have this one- shame on you)

Colony 7

Incomplete/Unreleased:

Ixion

Elevator Action & Sinistar showed potential

Boo Hiss:

Ikari Warriors (zzzzzzz)

Burgertime

Strategy X

Double Dragon