IGNORED

XL/XE Translator questions

save2600

Okay, so I have the Atari Translator program for my 1200XL, but I know there's at least another program available

that performs the same function. What is it called again and what is the difference between the two? Is there another

program better at getting 400/800 programs to work on these XL/XE's than Translator?

Edited by save2600

A complete OS swap (like from AtariMax 32in1)?

Keep in mind that there is NO practical solution to get 100% of all software to be 100% compatable with a specific machine...no matter what OS changes or such that have been done (short of hacking/patching the problem program file directly).

Keep in mind that there is NO practical solution to get 100% of all software to be 100% compatable with a specific machine...no matter what OS changes or such that have been done (short of hacking/patching the problem program file directly).

Yeah, I hear you. Just wondering what other programs attempt 100% compatibility besides the Translator disk.

Just interested in a software solution, not a 32-in-1 hardware hack (as cool as it is).

Okay, so I have the Atari Translator program for my 1200XL, but I know there's at least another program available

that performs the same function. What is it called again and what is the difference between the two? Is there another

program better at getting 400/800 programs to work on these XL/XE's than Translator?

Try this one:

Ultra Translator v2.0 Ultrafix-XL (1984-1986)(Tim Patrick).zip

Or this one:

XL Fix ! (19xx)(CSS)cr L.J.Hawkins.zip

The purpose of these programs is to load the older 400/800 OS into RAM and shut off the built-in OS. I'm not sure what would make one better than another, but there were a couple utilities (magazine or public domain) that did the same thing as Atari's official one.

Are there any programs in particular you're trying to run? Perhaps it has already been patched.

The purpose of these programs is to load the older 400/800 OS into RAM and shut off the built-in OS. I'm not sure what would make one better than another, but there were a couple utilities (magazine or public domain) that did the same thing as Atari's official one.

Are there any programs in particular you're trying to run? Perhaps it has already been patched.

Thanks for the info and downloads guys! No, Translator seems to run everything fine, even Gorf, etc. - just was wondering

what the features were for the other programs. Translator is nice because it's quite simple. Load, press start and you're off.

I'm going to play around with these others now. Thanks again!

Yeah, I hear you. Just wondering what other programs attempt 100% compatibility besides the Translator disk.

Just interested in a software solution, not a 32-in-1 hardware hack (as cool as it is).

The FixXL springs to mind immediately, and with a little research I also found "Atari XL To 800 Emulator V2.1 ". I am also pretty sure I once had another program of this kind called "Oldrunner" or the like.

But nowadays, I prefer patched software.

Thorsten

The FixXL springs to mind immediately, and with a little research I also found "Atari XL To 800 Emulator V2.1 ". I am also pretty sure I once had another program of this kind called "Oldrunner" or the like.

Thorsten

Here are versions 3.0 and 4.0 of "The Emulator".

Advantages to Atari's Translator:

- OS-400/800 can be booted several times without the need to reload the Emulator

- BASIC cabe switched on/off during OS-400/800 boot by a keypress

- The loader of version 4.0 detects an already loaded OS-B and does not load it again from the disk (very quick loading time for the Emulator)

- IIRC the compatibiltiy is much higher than with Atari's Translator

Important difference between the attached images of version 3.0 and 4.0:

- The OS of 4.0 needs necessarily an NMI-button (400/800-type reset button) which always nees to be pressed together with the key listed in the menu

There was a version 3.2 which had the 4.0-loader and did not need the NMI-buttton but my disk is no longer readable.

If someone is less rusted than I am after 25 years then version 3.2 can probably be rebuilt by combining the two versions.

Emulator 30.zip

Emulator 40.zip

Thanks, I downloaded these, tried both images in the SIO2OSX interface and neither boot up. Version 4 goes up to seven tracks and then pukes

out, Revision 3 goes up to three tracks before hanging... I tried holding in the option button to no avail (with basic both in and out of the port).

Thanks, I downloaded these, tried both images in the SIO2OSX interface and neither boot up. Version 4 goes up to seven tracks and then pukes

out, Revision 3 goes up to three tracks before hanging... I tried holding in the option button to no avail (with basic both in and out of the port).

If you know some assembly, it's quite easy to write your own translator and make a relocatable loader so it doesn't conflict with the game that you are downgrading OS for. Location 54017 is all that's involved switching ROM/RAM off/on at $C000...$FFFF (skipping $D000.$D7FF).

• 13 years later...
On 8/26/2009 at 1:29 PM, Thorsten Günther said:

Thorsten

Atari XL To 800 Emulator V2.1 is missing again, can we be pointed to it again?