IGNORED

Atari USB stick to Xbox (original) - Is it possible?

mckafka99

I'm not much of a hardware hack (though I did manage a USB connector for my original Xbox), but I'd like to know if anyone thinks it would be possible to get an Atari USB stick (one of Curts new models) or the connection from the stelladaptor connected AND recognized by an Original xbox. I can connect via USB, but it is not seen or recognized.

Correct...

I got a USB to XB converter plug 2-3 years ago and tried that little experiment out. It needs drivers. Same thing with the Wii, a lot of people have emailed me asking if the joysticks could plug into the Wii USB port --- sure they can plug-in, getting the Wii to recognize them, that's another story :-(

Curt

IIRC the USB support needs to be coded into games/emulators and this has not been done:(

True...

But most people don't want to hack up a perfectly good controller to frankenstein up a solution. People are looking for a direct plug in solution.

Curt

Yeah but it's not too hard to hack an xbox controller to make your atari joystick or pretty much any controller work with it...

Same process as wiring arcade controls to an xbox and there are plenty of mame cabs, etc. that use an xbox.

True...

But most people don't want to hack up a perfectly good controller to frankenstein up a solution. People are looking for a direct plug in solution.

Curt

You're right.. sometimes I need to remind myself I'm not like most people :P

But to be fair, you could mod a crappy third party xbox controller with a db-9 or a 15 or 25 pin d-sub connector(depending how many buttons / directions, etc. you need) and be able to plug any number of controllers into it. I can understand not wanting to "ruin" an original NES controller, cx2600, etc. but they are common enough that it's probably not a big deal. Plus, you can then use those controllers on your PC too(since you can use an original xbox or xbox 360 controller on your pc) Not saying it's perfect or elegant, but for somebody doing emulation on the xbox it's definitely an option.

There was an actual controller like that made and sold for the XBox and from what I heard and read, it didn't sell well at all, so its a tough market and sometimes a good idea doesn't always sell well and when you're not a big company that can afford a $50K-$100K "mistake" and write it off and move on, it can be a make or break decision to come out with something or not.

Curt

True...

Curt

You're right.. sometimes I need to remind myself I'm not like most people :P

But to be fair, you could mod a crappy third party xbox controller with a db-9 or a 15 or 25 pin d-sub connector(depending how many buttons / directions, etc. you need) and be able to plug any number of controllers into it. I can understand not wanting to "ruin" an original NES controller, cx2600, etc. but they are common enough that it's probably not a big deal. Plus, you can then use those controllers on your PC too(since you can use an original xbox or xbox 360 controller on your pc) Not saying it's perfect or elegant, but for somebody doing emulation on the xbox it's definitely an option.

It's quite easy to mod an XBox contoller so that you can plug older controllers into it while still retaining the controllers functionality. I have a "Duke" controller that has a plug built in to the second memory cart slot, where I can plug in various classic controllers. Any classic controllers that use a chip to encode the signals has to me modded, but controllers that don't (like the Atari 2600) can be left alone.

EDIT: Here's a tutorial. Remember that since all of the functions of the VCS controller are directly wired into the plug, you don't have to do anything to mod the controller. You can either replace the 15 pin connector in the tutorial with a 9 pin, or stick with the 15-pin (so that you can add other controllers later) and make a little 9-pin to 15-pin dongle to adapt the VCS controller to the XBox controller mod.

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba

XBox is just a USB port, modified so only X-box controllers work in it. It's easy enough to hack an adaptor to plug USB stuff into it, and I'm sure the system can use it, but it will have to be moded, and the specific game (or emu I suppose in your case) will have to be able to use it.

Well, I spend some time trying to work out a nice clean hw hack, but when I realized I had an xbox 'S Controller" and the TP points on the circuit board were not the same or in the same place as the tutorial, I was nearly sunk. I also learned just how hard trying to solder onto tiny points on a circuit board is; I succeeded with the Ground and fire (A) button (TP61 if I recall) but when I tried TP15 (down I think), i believe I burned out what small point there was to solder to. Alas, what I ended up doing was using black tape to mount the 4 directional wires onto the gamepad spots. It's ugly :ponder: , but it works so I am happy :) . I didnt mind sacrificing an xbox controller for it; its' been worth it.

Well, I spend some time trying to work out a nice clean hw hack, but when I realized I had an xbox 'S Controller" and the TP points on the circuit board were not the same or in the same place as the tutorial, I was nearly sunk. I also learned just how hard trying to solder onto tiny points on a circuit board is; I succeeded with the Ground and fire (A) button (TP61 if I recall) but when I tried TP15 (down I think), i believe I burned out what small point there was to solder to. Alas, what I ended up doing was using black tape to mount the 4 directional wires onto the gamepad spots. It's ugly :ponder: , but it works so I am happy :) . I didnt mind sacrificing an xbox controller for it; its' been worth it.

Sounds like something I did for the Activision Anthology so I could use a 2600 controller, forgot about it, but Ijust wired a D9sub into the second card slot on the controller. Still looks stock otherwise. Got UDLR and A mapped to the dsub, though there are a few more pins, I guess you could do something with.