IGNORED

7800 RPG game design

GroovyBee

Ok. Where to start? This is the scenario that won the poll :-

"scenario:

you and a colleague stumble upon a set of magic pocket watches that allow you to teleport through time. unfortunately, your colleague decides to use one of the watches for personal gain and starts traveling back in time altering the course of history.

premise:

using knowledge of major historic events the player must travel back and forth between present day and the past, to right events and objects that your friend has caused."

Now we need to take the next step which is the game design (the fun part ;)). We need ideas on the story, player character(s), NPCs, skills, environments, quests, sub plots, objects, puzzles etc.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions welcome!

"scenario:

you and a colleague stumble upon a set of magic pocket watches that allow you to teleport through time. unfortunately, your colleague decides to use one of the watches for personal gain and starts traveling back in time altering the course of history.

premise:

using knowledge of major historic events the player must travel back and forth between present day and the past, to right events and objects that your friend has caused."

Now we need to take the next step which is the game design (the fun part ;)). We need ideas on the story, player character(s), NPCs, skills, environments, quests, sub plots, objects, puzzles etc.

Seriously? This is the plot that one the poll? Color me VERY disapointed. I was really hoping for a much more traditional RPG story type. :(

Seriously? This is the plot that one the poll? Color me VERY disapointed. I was really hoping for a much more traditional RPG story type. :(

Yep! It has (to date) just over twice as many votes compared to the others (eighteen vs eight).

EDIT: To avoid number to smiley conversion.

Edited by GroovyBee

I dunno, this plot allows for the use of characters that can use broad swords and hand grenades. Just think of the crazy weapon combos that can happen. Cavemen using rifles and the like.

• Like 1

Traveling threw time is cool but having it take place in a fantasy world would help alot. How about finding a mystical tablet or rune,ect. while out and about with your friend as young teens you come across said item, a few years go past and as you mature you both figured out what the item does. Your a White Mage but your buddy leaned to the darker arts and became a Black Mage and that is where things got out of hand with him. He asks you to join him in his ventures towards ill-gotten gains but you refuse, he goes and takes the item for his own gain and tells you to stay the heck out of his way. If your not with him, then friendship be damned your agenst him. He vanishes off, the world starts to warp and when the dust settles your the only person who knows the world has changed.

You find yourself picking up a couple other players as you go along during the first part of the game as your gathering items to take on your trip\quest to stop your evil once-friend. Then you got yourself a "party" and your real journey to set things right in the land of "whateveritscalled" starts to take shape and you damn well better save your game at this point cause Fits gonna hit the Shan.

I usually prefer a fantasy setting for RPGs myself, but I'll take any 7800 RPG I can get. :) Any particular timeframe settings yet for this game? You can hop, skip, and jump through pretty much any setting with this premise. Not too dissimilar to the Chrono series of RPGs.

• 3 weeks later...

"scenario:

premise:

Colour me happy. I've been away for awhile and when I left the ideas were still being pitched. I'm glad this one won (take note of the difference there). I didn't think I'd much care for a 7800 RPG, but this is such a zany idea for an RPG it screams North American RPG and 7800. It's like having your Grandfather (who happens to be Grandpa Munster) trapped in a pumpkin by a vampire named Dr. Evil. It's like playing golf as a Ninja. It's like jumping on rats in sunglasses in order to rescue your dognapped dog from a dude in a wife-beater. It's like skiing in crocodile infested water. If the 7800 RPG had just had some dude with blue hair trying to free the 7 lost spirit ancestors or whatever, then you could colour me unimpressed.

No game designers want to pick this project up then? :(

I was hoping to play the finished project more than design. :D

Is there anything in particular already set for game mechanics? Battle engines, map styles, etc. I can start throwing out ideas as I get them although devising ideas for the storyline itself would probably be a bit over my head.

My scenario did not win the poll but I am still very interested in this project and in an effort to help move it along I will start a new thread this weekend with a basic plot outline in the spirit of the winning scenario it would be awesome to not only have the winner of the poll help but it would be great to have the rest of the community chime in and help this along.

More to come this weekend :)

My scenario did not win the poll but I am still very interested in this project and in an effort to help move it along I will start a new thread this weekend with a basic plot outline in the spirit of the winning scenario it would be awesome to not only have the winner of the poll help but it would be great to have the rest of the community chime in and help this along.

More to come this weekend :)

I've been away from the forum for the past few weeks due to my current work load and the fantastic fall allergies but am back now. I'll get with kroogur next week and maybe we can brainstorm on some ideas that will help make this scenario appeal to the masses.

Edited by j.m.ratkos

I just had a few quick ideas that might help get the ball rolling(who knows?). As far as the overall layout of the story and general art direction I was thinking a steampunk theme would be perfect. The main focus revolves around pocket watches so this may work well. Since I believe this game is going to play like the original Legend of Zelda I think we may need some clever items for players to pick up along the way. For the weapon we need something that can be used close range and fire projectiles so something like a Gun/Sword combo would be neat. We do need something to power the weapon. These power ups can be collected to enable firing of the weapon but can be lost when hit by a foe. In Zelda the power up is based on "life" hearts but maybe we can keep it separate. For example bullets to power the gun and hearts for the life meter. Later in the game attachments can be found for the Gun/Sword that can open up new parts of the game board such as a grappling hook (to reach higher up sections)and a flame thrower (burn away brush to find hidden stairs / items). Another item I thought might be interesting is a set of goggles that are used to view hidden areas or used to view the map of dungeons.

As for some things I think might be interesting in a time travel story:

Robots

Dinosaurs

Zepplins

WWI airplanes

Trains

Atlantis

Aztecs

Submarines

Tanks

I hope you guys can cook up some good ideas for this game!

an appropriate atari sounding name without actually using a real name of course. ;)

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd suggest Fuji, but then I'd keep waiting for him to provide genuine Saskatchewan sealskin bindings. :)

how about "Goishi" (this is what a full set of Go stones are called) or "Yunzi", the composite material that Go stones are made of?

either would give us an Atari tie-back reference