IGNORED

Firmware Ver. 3

Mendon

I received Firmware Ver. 3 and really like it. I like the new fonts, the new logo, the new clock, the "What's New" tab, and more. And after playing around with it for a couple of hours, I have experienced no problems at all.

BUT... I was on the official PS forums and there are a lot of posts and threads really complaining about the new update and calling Sony a failure for releasing it. Most posts don't like the fonts, the message bar, the clock, the logo.... they don't like much of anything. And there have been a few posts of games freezing under the update.

As I said, I like it and have not had any problems, including game freezes... so far. Just curious if anyone else downloaded it and if so, what are your impressions - opinions of it?

Mendon

what are your impressions - opinions of it?

I haven't got it yet, but I can comment how crappy it is to update your console every time you turn the damn thing on. (I don't turn the PS3 on as often as I should so there always seems to be an update waiting for me.) This wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't take 15-30 minutes. (first you have to download, and when you think you're free and clear... then you have to install.) That's a long time when all you've had your mind set on was playing a game. We have company coming this week-end so I'm glad you pointed this out. I'll start updating now so I won't be fuming later.

EDIT: and.......23 minutes later.... We have sparkles!!! :) Thanks again Mendon! I'll check it out and comment later on whether I think it was worth the wait.

Edited by moycon

I like it.

It kind of reminds me of Xbox Live.

One of the things I really like about the PS3 is its desktop. Unlike the 360 desktop, when you display a theme or wallpaper on the PS3 you can actually SEE the theme or wallpaper. The PS3 desktop is pretty much uncluttered and viewable (except when you are on the What's New tab) where as the 360 desktop appears at least half covered all the time with info boxes and such. Hard to appreciate any theme or wallpaper on the 360 desktop.

Other opinions may differ but I really prefer the PS3 desktop.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

I like it.

One of the things I really like about the PS3 is its desktop. Unlike the 360 desktop, when you display a theme or wallpaper on the PS3 you can actually SEE the theme or wallpaper. The PS3 desktop is pretty much uncluttered and viewable (except when you are on the What's New tab) where as the 360 desktop appears at least half covered all the time with info boxes and such. Hard to appreciate any theme or wallpaper on the 360 desktop.

Mendon

I agree themes are much better on the PS3 than the 360. I like the addition of PSN info and the little window in the upper right showing online friends. I would agree the PS3 desktop is the nicest of the three systems. I would rank the 360 second and the Wii a distant third.

I have to say that I never had any trouble finding the PS store icon before, so I don't really see why I need it in so goddamn many different sections of the same dashboard. Especially now that it displays that 'what's new' window every time I pass it.

it wasn't in the update list, but when playing video files from DVD, my playback hasn't crashed with 'corrupted file' yet. now video just skips a little when it runs into trouble. So that's either a plus of this firmware, or I've just been a lot luckier than usual.

Edited by Reaperman

oh hell no...

it groups my movies by letter.

meaning that every time I buy another one, I have to remember what the hell it's called, and what letter it starts with, instead of it just being 'the one on top' of the list.

Great sony. way to make it just a little harder to waste time by buying...whatever the hell show that was called...

One of the things I really like about the PS3 is its desktop. Unlike the 360 desktop, when you display a theme or wallpaper on the PS3 you can actually SEE the theme or wallpaper. T

Mendon

I agree with you 100% on this statement. I don't even bother buying themes on the 360 anymore.

What's the point?

I like it.

Mendon

i prefer it too. i STILL can't find my way around the 360 interface and its been almost a year. the old one was infinitely superior.

oh hell no...

it groups my movies by letter.

meaning that every time I buy another one, I have to remember what the hell it's called, and what letter it starts with, instead of it just being 'the one on top' of the list.

Great sony. way to make it just a little harder to waste time by buying...whatever the hell show that was called...

Hit Triangle over one of your movies. Then go to Group Content. Then select the arrangement you want. I think you want "All".

I like it except for one thing.

That annoying scrolling ticker. So far I found no way to turn it off so it doesnt scroll (other than logging in as someone who does not have a PSN account)

I wish I could turn this off too. I had just changed my wallpaper before the update, and now there's a ticker right over a character's face.

It's basically the same thing as the old news ticker which used to be optional. Only now, you're forced to have the subliminal advertising in the upper corner. I guess that little thing was key to Sony's online strategy and they weren't happy that everyone turned the damn thing off.

At least you can change the options so it doesn't boot to the What's New thingie.

Hit Triangle over one of your movies. Then go to Group Content. Then select the arrangement you want. I think you want "All".

thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it.

I a really odd (possibly related) happening recently. some kind of a superbike 08 demo crashed on exit, and boom! the two folders I keep my games in (retail and unknown) disappeared, and setting the games to new folders resulted in nothing. at the exact same time, it forgot to group my movies by letter. (at least that was a plus) however since I recently upgraded the HD, I just restored the backup and was off, but I hope this doesn't keep happening.

No complaints about the layout itself... but... did anyone else have their clock screwed up after the download? Mine was off by 10 minutes and the system forgot my DST settings. Easy enough to fix, but weird.

The only clock issue I've had is that the clock always runs fast and gets ahead. I haven't found a way to make the clock check the internet automatically which doesn't seem to make sense. Otherwise no problems.

Oh and yes the playstation store tab being in every menu is really annoying. The store still sucks compared to XBL regardless of whether it's in every menu or not.

Edited by HammR25

I don't have the ticker issue. I think since mine was originally turned off, I'm not getting this new one.

I'm not a fan of the boot up as it doesn't match my system's logo anymore, however, the update as a whole is nice. I like the updated dash and the animated themes are pretty crazy awesome.

Adding to my previous post here, I agree with those that said Sony is overdoing the PS Store advertising.

I really didn't need the new PS Store icon's in my game and video sections (and they always come up at the top of the column...grrrrrrr). I really didn't need the scroller hawking the PS Store. I really didn't need the four Emails I received in the last three days that were nothing but ad's for the PS Store. And if you wanted to send me another Email Thanking me for all my previous PS Store purchases, you could have REALLY shown your appreciation with a discount coupon!! :D

C'mon Sony..... ease back some. I'm seeing more advertising for the PS Store than I'm seeing from shyster lawyers during the Jerry Springer show. Both annoy me.

Mendon