IGNORED

Poll of sorts -- new 5200 game ideas?

Cafeman

Hi folks. I am currently attempting to refresh my memory of Atari 8bit computer programming, and apply my knowledge to creating some new 5200 games in Assembly language.

Now, before anybody gets excited or anything, my disclaimer -- I just started last month! I am working in conjunction with the efforts of a few other folks with similar interest in coding for the Supersystem (check the programming forum), but it will be a while before I'm 'good enough' at coding for the system to make a real, playable game. I'm starting off slowly!

Still, I'm looking to the future, and I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts -- what kind of game would you like to see? Wouldn't it have been neat to have, say, an Airwolf game? Or a superhero game, like Superman on the 2600? Or a 5200 version of 2600 adventure (or something similar)?

throw me some ideas.

For now, I'm just coding demo's. My first attempt at a real, playable game will no doubt be a mazechase game in the vein of PacMan. Something simple to 'get my feet wet' -- but once I get the skills, I'd like to try something more aggressive. Wouldn't it be cool if we do create something and get Sean to put it on his multicart someday? Hey, you never know!

Thanks,

Cafeman

PS -- I've posted this here, at DP, and AGH, to try to catch all the 5200 fans with opinions!

Well, I don't know how easy it would be, but I always thought the 5200 had an RPG gap (ie. absolutely no adventure games). So I would like to see an RPG.

As you know my first game is going to be a puzzle/panic game. It's a really simple concept, bothing too exciting. But for my second game (assuming I can get through the first) I'm going to do a more complex puzzle game (like QB).

Tempest

I'm torn on ideas. My first 'real game' will probably be that mazechase. think about it -- No scrolling and easy collision detection, my kinda first game.

Due to making these recent demos, I started to toy with the idea of an Airwolf game. I made one in Basic yrs ago, it was just kind of a gag game for a buddy who loved the show. It's just an idea at this point.

I'd like to make an adventure game, too. Something like Adventure, which honestly I never played much of. Or something like Pitfall, with the screen flips. I figure if David Crane could make a game like Pitfall on the 2600, I could make something kind of similar on the more powerful 5200.

I think a super hero game would be cool. Problem is, what kind of game would it be? Lots of those early 80's licensed character games were just reused Pacman engines and crap like that.

Anybody else got some ideas? I patiently wait...

One step at a time for me. My first goal is just to make a good .bin file. But if I (we) get a good enough game (s), of course I'd be all for dumping them to carts. I know there are people who do this, but I am unsure of the method, cost, and contacts one needs.

Thinking some more, I think that the last thing the 5200 needs is another mindless action game. But personally, I wouldn't mind another good maze chase or a good DK-style platformer. But I'm really starting to like the idea of an Adventure-style game. Funny though, that I have NEVER played Adventure other than trying it out at stores! Back then, it wasn't my 'thing'.

Personally, I don't really care if my first efforts look primitive by 5200 standards; what do people expect? But with refinement and experience will come better visuals. If I can master the DLI and/or Kernel ideas to get lots of colors and players on the screen, that will be one obstacle toppled.

I think Matt's game looks pretty interesting. I also thought Qb was interesting (saw it at Philly), and it has puzzle aspects.

One more thing -- now that I'm learning about coding the 5200 -- I have a lot more respect for certain 5200 games I see!

Oh I agree with you Cafeman. Matt's game looks great! And the concept has interested me too.

I have a lot of respect for 5200 programmers (you and Matt included) too. The lengths they had to go through, man. Oh and the tricks that had to be perform on Stella...my goodness. You even had to create your own number fonts to display a score. And I'm not going go into the hoops they had to jump through to get a 6 digit display.

Oh and I forgot to mention an RPG in my last post. That would be great. How about a Zelda type clone. Show those Nintendo lovers that the Atari can do it too

Thanks for the positive words on my game. I only hope it lives up to your expectations. My only fear at this point is that it looks a little primative for the 5200, it almost has a 2600 look to it. But then again graphics aren't everything...

BTW, there was a Legend of Zelda clone in the works at one point for the 7800. It was going to be called Time Lords of Xanic or something like that. But Atari wouldn't fork over the extra money for the extra memory that was required. I think it's cheapness like this that killed the 7800.

Personally, I'd love to try a game like Meebzork. It's a good mix of adventure and action sequences (like SwordQuest without all the annoying crap). But I think something like that is way beyond my skills for now (hell, even Eric Manghese the programmer couldn't finish it). My dream is to find a fully functioning versionof this game (without all the bugs).

Tempest

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: Tempest ]

Ron,

Wow, what great news..new 5200 games! Even simple ones would be fun. As for my suggestion there are too many games I could volunteer. But how about Tunnel Runner by CBS Electronics? It was an expanded RAM 2600 game, and the eerie sounds and music would really shine on the fabulous 5200 sound generators. Adventure is a good choice too, they were planning on a 5200 version anyway. Maybe with more than just a pixel for a character. And you can put your own 'Easter Egg' in somewhere! But here's an idea for that one - a battery backup so you can come back to the game, like Zelda used for the NES. You'll get alot of votes for Adventure.

Keep me posted, a Cafeman 5200 original will be welcome in my library (which I finally completed - yeah!).

Geo

Whew I finally broke free for a little bit to respond to you guys.

How graphically simple can the games be One of the reasons I ventured over to Stella programming and not for the 5200 is because of "With great power...comes great responsibility." With all the processing power the 5200 had I thought I had to make something that was sort of graphically complicated.

Anyway enough with that. I like puzzle games too Matt. If you could do another one (I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for you first one) that would be great!! Another form of puzzle game would be something like Donkey Kong for the Gameboy. How you have to move some objects around to accomplish your task.

I would like to see something that used that 360 degree stick in a different way too. I remember hearing about a game for PlayStation that used the Namco GenCon to ring out a wash cloth...you know something like that. Thinking of something is almost as hard as programming it.

How about porting some of those magazine programs (the good ones) to the 5200. Biffdrop by J.D. Casten (with minor changes) would be AWESOME!!!

Oh and how about a Crazy Climber? I know probably way down the road but just a thought for later.

Are you guys planning to actually have catridges made up or were you just shooting for a binary. It'd be kind of cool to see a 5200 cartridge for PAM's birthday at the CGE

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: DEBRO ]

I'd have trouble doing pong because I have no real interest in it. It has to be an idea that really sets me on fire. you aren't the first to suggest Pong, though. With the recent PC/PSX version of Pong by Hasbro/Atari, I guess I have little desire on that particular game.

Hey, but thanks for idea, and keep 'em coming. Who knows, in time, I might come back and do a Pong -- it would certainly be easy. But with those 5200 sticks ... ugh!

Forget the arcade stuff-do something different like sports

How hard would a sports thing be--maybe even a simple "home run derby" sort of thing--a sprite for the ball, one for the batter, the crowd movement or scoreboard? Field, players outfield fence and stadium (if any) could be a static playfield graphic. A skiing demo (moving trees around a static skier even) would be cool as well.

I'd love to see a simple 1-on-1/2-on-2 basketball or 4-on-4 hockey game of some sort--but I'm sure that's beyond difficult.

Good luck!!

Well, I think that RealSports Baseball is already fantastic. I could never compete with that. It even talks! Have you played it?

RealsSports Football 5200 was written by the guy who ended up writing the original Genesis John Madden Football for EA. Unfortunately, it's only a 2 player game, so I haven't messed with it much. I could never make a decent football game.

Now, Hockey is an interesting idea. It was never attempted on the 5200, so there is a hole to be plugged. Hockey on the 5200 would really be a pong variant, if you think about it. Hmmmm... write that one down...

Thanks!

Originally posted by Cafeman:

[QB]Well, I think that RealSports Baseball is already fantastic. I could never compete with that. It even talks! Have you played it?

I remember playing it a friend's house back in the day. I haven't been able to find a decent emu version of RS baseball. The 5200 sports games are three times the sports games the 7800 had. Unfortunately for me, since I'm a huge video sports fan. And anything beats Hat Trick, the awful hockey game for 7800. I can still play the old Activision 2600 hockey game for hours on end.

And to reduce sprite usage, you can always do what the old Hardball games did: show only half the field at once. Just the end that the ball is actually on. When it crosses the center line, the players change color, the playfield flips symetrically to simulate the other team or whatever...

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: utamav91 ]

I must be the only person not working at work today.

There seems to be strong interest for 5200 sequels to Adventure and Superman. Those both came up in different places. Also for 5200 ports of classic games like Geo said, Tunnel Runner. I've never seen nor played that game! What kind of retro gamer am I?

I posted my inital thoughts for a RPG/adventure style game above, but I of course can't give more detail without ruining some of the story. If it sounds dull, tell me. I wanted to do something different -- an adventure game where you had to rely on sounds, and you had to learn & use some strategies, not just simple run and jump stuff. In other words, you might not be able to get across a screen until you pick up a certain something, etc.

What makes a game (thinking in the 80's mode here, not the 16-bit mode, with its greater memory and graphics!) have an RPG slant? Would you say adventure is an early RPG? I always considered it an adventure game. I think when people say 'RPG' concerning a new 5200 game, they are thinking in terms of Indiana Jones, Adventure, Riddle of the SPhinx, or Swordquest. Correct or not?

A little off-topic, but...

Atari 7800 RS Football is a little slow and difficult to play. The graphics are about a B+, but passing is pretty hard unless you practice a lot. The computer AI is pretty good. Running the ball for more than about 10 yards is next to impossible.

Atari 7800 RS Baseball is nearly unplayable. Just pitching the ball requires a routine that a surgeon would have a tough time with--is it left button or right button? The runners move way too fast--by the time the ball gets to the shortstop, the runner's 3/4 the way down the baseline. And throwing people out at first from deep left field? Pleeeeeeease.

The 5200 baseball was pretty good, but Pete Rose 2600 is the all-time best. Blows the Mattel 2600 Baseball, RS Baseball and Super Baseball (quick--tell me the difference between the two except opening screen) away by far.

One-on-One, now that's a game...

The difference between RS and Super Baseball is that they fixed numerous bugs in the program and gave the graphics a slight tweaking. Nothing too major though.

I have a prototype of RS Baseball for the 5200 where the voice is much different. It's much lower and sounds pissed off! You should hear it say "Your Out!", now I know why my little guy runs away towards the dugout!

Tempest

That's Great Tempest!!!

I can't wait until you get that dumped sometime. That would be loads fun to play.

I haven't tried any of the 7800 baseball games..as I was never into the 7800 sports stuff that much. But I thought Pete Rose on the 7800 was supposed to be pretty good...equal in quality to many NES ones?!

Or did somebody slip me a mickey in my drink once?

pete rose baseball is a pretty good game but it's not quite as good as the NES baseball games, that's just my opinion anyways.

anyways getting somewhat back on topic i would love to see a new game featuring the crew of Atari Force (you know the comic book characters)i dunno some sort of side scrolling action game would be neat.

I also agree that an RPG would be most welcome...maybe and RPG featuring the characters from Dark Chambers (i love that game!)...ehhh..anyways good luck on your next project