IGNORED

PS3 60 GB version-should I buy

mimo

Hi, as my Wii has bitten the dust I am seriously considering getting a PS3 to replace it.

Are all the 60GB models able to run PS2 games?

I also remember there were some complaints about the picture quality when running PS2 games, it that true?

Hi, as my Wii has bitten the dust I am seriously considering getting a PS3 to replace it.

Are all the 60GB models able to run PS2 games?

I also remember there were some complaints about the picture quality when running PS2 games, it that true?

Playing PS2 games on a compatible PS3 system isn't the most gratifying thing in the world. It's kinda like trying to play xbox games on a 360. Personally, if you want to play PS2 games, get a PS2. Use your PS3 for PS3 games. You'll be a lot happier that way.

I agree with Daytona: buy a PS2 to play PS2 games and a PS3 to play PS3 games.... you'll end up saving money, also.

From what I've observed, used 60gb's usually cost much more money than what a new 120gb PS3 AND a new PS2 cost total. And a new 60gb (when you can find them) are usually priced 2 to 3 times more than what a new 120gb costs.

Don't get me wrong, I love my launch 60gb and wouldn't sell it for the world. But to be honest, with all the great PS3 games, 360 games, and Wii games that are available, I have neither the time nor desire to play PS2 games. So a non-BC machine would serve me just as well as a BC machine.

Consider buying a new PS3 for $299 and a used PS2 for maybe $50 (or $99 for a new one) and you'll have saved $$$$ over buying a 60gb... and with that savings you can start a PS3 library by getting some great games!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

If your only interest is playing PS2 games, then buy a PS2. But if you are also interested in PS3 games and/or Blue Ray movies then maybe the 60gb PS3 is the thing to get.

I agree with chrisbid, PS2 games look better on a PS3 than on a PS2 when using a HDTV. If you only have a SDTV then there will be no difference. You can also stretch PS2 games to fill a widescreen TV if that is your preference on the PS3.

In addition the PS3 uses wireless controllers vs wired controllers on a PS2.

Of course it all depends on how much you can get a used 60GB PS3 for.

PS2 games look better on a PS3 when using an HDTV (LCD or Plasma) but not all games look better upscaled.

I compared Maximo: Army of Zin with PS2 component and also with PS3 HDMI (with smoothing) on my 1080p LCD and the game looks way better on the PS3. Emulation is hardware type so almost all games work so on a 60GB PS3 PS2\PS1 games DO NOT play like the crappy XBOX\XBOX 360 emulation bullshit.

All games can be smoothed (upscaled) and played full screen if you want so playing PS2 and PS1 games like I said are genreally better on a PS3 than the original hardware but only if you have an HDTV. Thats why that 60GB PS3 is so sought after.

On the other hand: I agree, the 60GB is waayy over priced and playing the games on an original PS2 with component is good enough. Even better sometimes on non HDTV's.

I now have my original PS2 hooked up to an older Sony TV with component and it looks great. I would probably just stick with a PS2 if I were you and save your money unless you really want that 60GB PS3 but remember to buy an HDTV with it.

:P

I wasn't saying that the PS2 games on a PS3 didn't look better. All I said was that it was similar to the xbox to 360 bit, in that many games either don't work or have some major issues. Since I have an extensive collection, selling my PS2 and getting a 60GB PS3 made no sense to me, as many of my PS2 games would be unplayable.

I ended up getting a white import 40GB system and play my PS2 games on my Test PS2. No complaints here and I ended up saving quite a bit of dough and annoyance.

But to each their own. Either way you're going to have a great console to play PS3 games, and that's all that really matters :)

I've not had any problem playing PS2 games on my PS3, but I do have issues with the screen resolution. I think the upscaler defaults to stretching the image so it looks strange, but you can override that in the options. It still looks a bit... wrong... I can't 100% explain it, but there's something funny going on. It could be because I'm using a 4:3 HD TV. I haven't noticed any benefit from the upscaling, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Tempest

As I mentioned not all games look better when upscaled (full screen and smoothing) so playing them on a PS2 is just fine. Some games are some are not (I've been comparing over the years on my own set up).

Most people I would think have normal TV sets at home (non 1080p HD's etc) so I wouldnt even bother worring about a PS3 with BC.

I would buy a slim PS3 and keep my PS2.

I don't like the look of the slim, I know the outgoing model is a real dust magnet, but it looks so sleek.

As for the PS2 BC, it's not much of an issue as we still have out slim, and a PS1, but just thinking of saving some clutter in the livingroom.

As for the price, the one I have seen is NIB and is about 1/3rd of the price of a slim.

TV is an LCD HD set, and hopefuly will be replaced by a Plasma sooner rather than later

Think I am about to make a purchase, I was also considering a 360, but I know that I would kick myself for not spending the little extra on a PS3

Anyway, thanks for all your input guys

Edited by mimo

The 40Gb model is a little quieter and runs cooler than the original 60Gb machine. You can also get one for the same price as a slim, without foregoing any of the nice fit and finish. You'll probably get a couple of decent games thrown in free too.

I agree with the general 'have a separate PS2' consensus. A slim PS2 takes up exactly no space and they run everything with the added bonus that you can (with a disc and some plug-in widgety bits of plastic) play import games on it too.